All lead flat roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I had an single storey extension at the back of my house that had a single pitched roof with horrible concrete interlocking tiles due to the low pitch.

I've now built over half of this extension with a first floor extension.

Anyway, the remaining single storey element needs the roof replacing and i really hate the concrete interlocking tiles.

My plan was to replace it with a flat roof finished in zinc. I've struggled to find anybody close by who deals with zinc and is interested in a small residential project.

I have found somebody who does lead.

Is there any good reason not to have a flat roof finished completely in lead?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Also, on the detail below from the lead association with regards to a warm deck; I understand all of it but what purpose does the breather membrane just above the insulation serve?

Many thanks

A lead flat roof done properly is the best type of flat roof possible. Make sure that who ever does the job uses the correct code of lead for the bays and any corners are burnt correctly

Agree with palaceray - zinc is not as durable (is often subject to depradation by the local cats!). Lead is far more stable and if properly done will last for ever.

Sponsored Links
Could anybody kindly explain what purpose the breathable membrane serves in the detail below?

http://www.leadsheet.co.uk/types-of-roof-and-ventilation

Not a clue.

One would have thought that the construction of a warm roof was that the finish goes directly above the insulation - albeit with some boarding on top of the insulation to protect it from loading such as maintenance.

The additional small void between the roof deck and the top of the insulation seems to defeat the main object of having a warm roof, which is to avoid having to vent it.

Could anybody kindly explain what purpose the breathable membrane serves in the detail below?

http://www.leadsheet.co.uk/types-of-roof-and-ventilation

Not a clue.

One would have thought that the construction of a warm roof was that the finish goes directly above the insulation - albeit with some boarding on top of the insulation to protect it from loading such as maintenance.

The additional small void between the roof deck and the top of the insulation seems to defeat the main object of having a warm roof, which is to avoid having to vent it.

Thanks Tony.

I also notice a vapour control layer, is that usual for a warm deck?

Strikes me as a peculiar change of roofing materials.
The world is fleeing from flat roofs, and you want to go to lengths to install one?

The lead will be stripped by scumbags standing in line to rip it off. A single story roof means nothing to a desperate drug addict. Dont even use lead flashings at that easy height.

With the new building offering, perhaps, a higher panel of brickwork, and a shorter run/going, could you could raise the pitch a little, and maybe do it in plain tile for a change?

If you want a good lead roofer in London, contact Richard

http://www.londonleadroofing.co.uk

He does all my lead roofing and is second to none.

Thank you, he is actually not a million miles from where I live. Does he do small residential projects or only big stuff?

Funnily enough the guy who was recommended to me (by somebody else) is also from Hornchurch, but his name was Rob. Could it be the same outfit?

Strikes me as a peculiar change of roofing materials.
The world is fleeing from flat roofs, and you want to go to lengths to install one?

The lead will be stripped by scumbags standing in line to rip it off. A single story roof means nothing to a desperate drug addict. Dont even use lead flashings at that easy height.

With the new building offering, perhaps, a higher panel of brickwork, and a shorter run/going, could you could raise the pitch a little, and maybe do it in plain tile for a change?

If I could raise the pitch we wouldn't be having this discussion. A well executed, well detailed lead flat roof looks a million times better than a single low pitch roof with horrible concrete interlocking tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back