All Seasons or Maximum Exposure Dulux Trade Paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I am re-painting the front of my house and i would really appreciate a bit of advice from some seasoned professionals please. I have attached a few photos at the end to set the scene, it has previously been painted with standard Dulux masonry paint but two problems/questions please:

1)
The filler used previously seems to have gone soft and hence the paint has cracked and peeled, it did say it was suitable for exterior use but it appears not. I have raked this out and wire brushed back to a good surface before filling with TouPret Masonry Filler (as recommended by my local independent decorating shop).
Has anyone had previous experience of using this filler, should i use a special masonry primer or just thin the paint 10:1 as recommended by Dulux?

2)
Which paint should I use? I had previously used standard Dulux masonry paint from B&Q, the surfaces have many layers of paint under this which could be anything and date back a long way, its sandstone underneath, I certainly won't be scraping it all back as aside from the areas where the filler has caused a problem it is all still pretty well attached.

The old masonry paint has a very matt finish which looks great to begin with but quickly gets dirty in a couple of the photos you can see that the window sills and some of the walls have dirty marks on them. Other houses in my street have what looks more like a silk or eggshell finish which is not bad sheen wise and appears to let the dirt wash off so I would like something like that.

Obviously its the winter and I would like to start ASAP, Maximum Exposure paint can be used down to 7C and All Seasons down to 5C so I think either would be OK.

Does anyone have experience of using these paints? How shiny are they? Do you think they are a good choice? Which one would be best?

Any advice would be most appreciated, thankyou for your time.
Neil

Sponsored Links
Both paints are pretty good, the all seasons is an oil base, the extreme is water base.

The oil base is flatter, goes on well and will last longer. The extreme is a brighter white.

As for the sills toupret is a decent product, if the sills are powdery I'd give them a splash of stabiliser before filling.

If you really want to refurb the sills to absolute perfection and square off the ladder bumps (damn window cleaners) to the edge you will need to scratch back to stone and since the filling is tiny dabs here and there use a two part quick set filler.

Thanks Chri5 that's helpful.
What would you recommend I did on the bare parts such as the new filler, masonry primer(?) or thin the paint and use that as a primer? I think I will go for All Seasons paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back