Alloy wheel buckle advice (wife's car...)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

My wife just bought a car with stupid aftermarket alloys (TSW).

There is a vibration at 60mph+ so I took it in for alignment and balance. Both were out, but they said the allows are all buckled.

The car is far better now, but there's still some vibration due to the buckles.

Worth getting TSWs repaired (£40 a wheel at the local place) or better off buying some used Honda wheels?

The tyres are decent and new.

Any ideas would be great.

Sponsored Links
It is possible to knock some buckle out of alloys, and careful balancing can also work wonders, but it depends how bad they are.....aftermarket stuff isn't as good as the real thing - unless they were very expensive wheels.
The trouble is, how can you guarantee your replacements without having them spun first...can be a bit of a minefield!
John :)

Yeah; this is my concern about buying further wheels. Although I'm sure Honda wheels would be more robust than these ones!

They are, but of course a good pothole can soon take care of that!
Dealer replacements are often in the £400 region per wheel, whereas other 'outlets' can do wheels with tyres at ridiculously cheap prices. I've never been tempted though.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Depends how big the buckle is. I've knocked them out with a lump hammer and a piece of wood, but only small ones. The alloy can crack (or worse, it cracks microscopically and then fails by fatigue later)! I'd probably pay the £40 unless you get the chance to minutely examine any replacement 2nd hand wheels that you're thinkign of buying.

Back