Alpah 240 E temperamental firing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alpah 240 E temperamental firing
Dear all
I would highly appreciate an a advise e on this issue as it cost me £350 and 5 weeks and still not working. when I reported this issue first time I suspected the ignition broad was faulty based on the Alpha manual fault finding chart. However, my gas engineer thought (after checking with Alpha technical help line)was the gas valve. consequently, the gas valve was replaced but the boiler still would not fire. after another half an hour checking the voltage across the wires he concluded that the harness is faulty( the one the connect the gas valve to the main broad). when this one was replaced the boiler started working for a week then stopped. I called him again and spend another hour checking the wire and the boiler started working again. the conclusion was that the wires of the boiler are disintegrating and we need a new boiler. the boiler worked for 3 days and stopped again today. I followed the steppes of the manual fault finding chart and was led again "the ingestion broad is faulty" section. I managed to get the boiler firing by gently tapping the ignition broad . now, if there is any demand for DHW or CH, the boiler only fires if I gently tap the front penal of the boiler where the ignition boiler sit behind. can someone please help me to understand this:-
1) is the ignition beard faulty?
2) do they get temperamental then go or when the go they go?
3) do you think this is the fault in the first place? and every time the wires are checked the ignition board gets touched and starts working the a while then stopes.
any help and advice would really appreciated, my gas engineer is happy to replace the board if I order it but he does not think this is the case.

Sponsored Links
the ingestion broad is faulty"
Where's that fitted? :LOL:

Should that not be........ignition board?
You have employed a lot of numpties.
I would suggest you find someone who knows this simple boiler. BG may do a fixed price repair.

sorry do not understand your reply,
is it the ignition beard or not?
if you ask where I live, it is Swindon Wiltshire.
I contacted BG when the problem started and they charged initially £79 then it could go up to £300 depending on work involved and the availability of the spare part

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back