Alterations to existing walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a builder coming next week to do some jobs for me. One of which is to move some internal walls for me. I have tried to draw what I am planning to have done in this image.

There is an old pantry in the kitchen which I would like removed. The area marked in red is the wall I would like taken out (approx 35cm wide) and the doorway next to it moved across as well. All fairly simple.

Sitting on top of the section of wall I would like removing is a joist that runs across to the opposite wall (shown in orange). Above that is more wall on the first floor. All the walls are solid brick construction.

My question is does this job require building regulations approval? I have tried reading the guidance and I am not 100%. Many thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you are removing load-bearing walls then whatever you replace them with will need to comply with building regs and may require calculations to demonstrate that the structure is capable of supporting the load.

When you say that you have a builder coming next week to do some jobs - has the builder seen the jobs (including removing the chimney) and quoted for them?

Yes he has. He seems to think that we wont need building control out, but I'm not so sure. Think I'm going to do it anyway just to be on the safe side. Don't want issues when I come to sell...

Sponsored Links
does the upstairs wall support anything? If it doesn't, consider removing that too and replace it with a lighter structure. Sometimes downstairs walls are only load bearing because they are bearing the weight of the upstairs walls. Taking them out but leaving the heavy wall in place means serious support. Stud walls are much lighter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back