Alternative to Dulux weathershield opaque?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've used Dulux solvent based weathershield opaque (satin/colour mixed) for exterior wood previously, but it now seems quite pricey (circa £45 for 2.5l).

Are there any cheaper alternatives with a similar quality finish?

Sponsored Links
I'll never use Dulux Weathershield again. Used it on the last house, and found to crack and allow rot in under 8 years on a North facing window.

I currently use linseed paint, as it uses linseed oil as a primer, which soaks into the wood, and protects below the surface. It lasts over 14 years+ (with a quick coat of oil half way through that), and is very flexible. You can even paint over linseed putty before its fully dry.

It is the most breathable of paints you can get, and even smells nice when applying it. The clue to its flexibility is that it doesn't even give a powder off when you sand it down!

Downsides? Well, drying time is long, and you have to re-learn how to paint, as its a different approach, but what you need is a paint that lasts, and protects, and this ticks both those boxes, just with more effort upfront. And I heat up the paint before use to make it thinner, so I can get it sufficiently thin and even.

I do know an architect who use Bedec's MSP. He claims 16 years life cycle, but it will lack the protection as it sits on the surface. It says its microporous, but some have doubts as to any modern paint being microporous, and infact linseed paint is generally considered to be more breathable.

I know of someone else who swears by Sadolin Superdec . I've used this on our previous house's wooden gutter. It still looks good after 3-4 years, and black on south facing side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back