Alternatives to a tall AAV?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are embarking on a massive house renovation project and the layout of our bathrooms are giving me headaches. We are replacing our downstairs loo with a bathroom and wish to move the layouts around. The existing loo has its waste to the side and enters almost immediately into a vertical short stack with an AAV on top. Given that this is a concrete floor it's my assumption that this enters directly into the drain run below the house. The AAV is only 40cm high,but the existing sink is about 80cm high, which I understand is a bit naughty.

In the new room I am assuming that I am also limited to an AAV stack placed somewhere directly on the line on the drain under the house? Can you have a horizontal connection to the drain running in a solid floor? This would at least allow me to deviate from the line of the drain run.

In either situation I'm guessing I cannot avoid an AAV stack because there are no external walls to vent out of? I'm also facing a really high AAV as the sink will also connect to it, meaning it must be placed higher than the highest overflow.

I'd love to box in the AAV but the position and requirement for airflow and accessibility makes the layout very difficult.

Has anyone done anything creative or inventive with AAVs? Or is there an alternative in a room with solid floors and no external walls?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you need the AAV? Stub stacks may not necessarily require an AAV dependent on adequate ventilation of the drain elsewhere and the horizontal distance of the stub stack to the main drain run. You could also consider an air admittance trap on the basin or HEPvO traps.

Ultimately it will need to comply with the building control for sign off....check with them on your proposed solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back