Alternatives to Sarnafil roof covering

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning an extension and the planning officer has made a condition of the consent that we use Sarnafil for a flat roof in dark grey or equivalent.

Can anyone recommend an alternaitve product? I do like the look of Sarnafil but have been advised that it can be expensive, albeit no suggestions of alternaives where forthcoming from this source?

thanks

Sponsored Links
We use Rhepanol fk as manufactured by FDT which has an insurance backed guarantee of 15 years but a certified life expectancy in excess of 30 years but there are a few others around such as Sika Trocal or Rubberbond.

In my experience, Sarnafil usually works out the cheapest of all the single ply membrane systems (mainly commercial though to be fair), it may also be a problem getting a contractor to do a small domestic roof. The planning officer sounds like a knob, print off some slick images of EDPM and see if he'll approve that instead.

she has been a bit of a tw@t - this is one of 6 or so conditions, including being specific on the colour of the window and door frames

sorry for my ignorance - EDPM?

Sponsored Links
Try flaguk.co.uk they do a lead grey colour same as Sarnafil in a TPO or a PVC it goes down the same as Sarnafil, looks the same but works out cheaper comes with 15 or 20 year guarantee we use it all the time.

Confused as to why they are insisting you use a certain product? I can understand colour, but Sarna is not exactly going to have listing status, is it.

Personally, i'd delve deeper.

I think the planning officer pick sarnafil as a product as this is perhaps the only one she knows to give the appearance she was suggesting we should have - the extension is to the rear of a stone house, c. 1900's, and is relatively modern in appearance - lots of glass, flat roof, galvanised steel water goods, etc - so she had suggested this would be in keeping with the modern theme!

To be fair, she did say "or similar" in reference to sarnafil

As far as i am aware, she cannot dictate type, only colour. So any grey/charcoal membrane then.

Hi Xenon
Tell me more, I know it sometimes gets used on roofs it shouldn't be used on and I know there are some very bad products and installers out there. But there are some good ones and good roofers to.
What happened to you?

Hi Xenon
Tell me more, I know it sometimes gets used on roofs it shouldn't be used on and I know there are some very bad products and installers out there. But there are some good ones and good roofers to.
What happened to you?

We're Sarna/Alwitra etc approved installers. Commercial, not domestic. Its cost in relation to its performance is a rip off. Blistering/puncturing/windlift (despite Sarna writing the specs) are a pain. We started a 16000 m2 project on Brent X in the 90's, the client stopped it after the first area due to problems, and changed it to Felt.

Vapour barriers are dire, sealing up is a nightmare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back