Aluminium windows - reboarded internal sills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not sure how to explain this but will give it a go....

The windows in our house are the old double glazed aluminium ones... they only have top openings and are pretty tatty....

We would like to change them to white upvc but have a few issues..

The 1st issue is in the bathroom. the window reveal has been tiled... but as the reveal was really uneven it was plaster boarded which has made it about 12.5mm smaller all round.

The 2nd issue is in one of the bedrooms, the same thing has been done. The reveal was plaster boarded and then plastered....

My main concern is that if we have new windows, the installers will have to damage the tiles and plastering to get the old windows out, and once the windows have been replaced with new UPVC ones, the inner reveal will be too high for the new windows....

This is a major headache :eek:(

Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
You should be asking the installers what they propose. Such a small difference in the reveal will easily be covered with the internal trim.

If the internal plaster line is to thick/wide then the windows will have frame extenders put on them the fitters will see this or should when they measure them, i cant see that there will be any damage because its been plasterboarded inside.

Silly question but do you have any spare tiles? Are they still available? If not then the installers will have to be careful won't they, i've lost count how many windows i've fitted into tiled reveals and i can tell you i haven't lost many[tiles]

As for the increased thicknes of the reveals then its a legitimate concern, the surveyor SHOULD measure the internal size as well as the external brick size, deduct one from the other and decide whats needed.

In most cases this will involve using a frame extender, known as 'add on' or 'clip on', effectively you measure the window 40mm smaller for example on the width and height and then build that shortfall back up with add on, 20mm to all four sides, this will make the window the correct size and also show more pvc on the inside.

OR

Some fabricators offer different thicknesses of profile, i know Rehau do, basically making a window out of door profile which tends to be thicker, this solves exactly the same problem as add on but won't have a joint line as its in one piece.

Take a look at the hinge side on a upvc door, on the outside you should see what i mean, on a door its there to bring the hinges away from the plaster

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I no this is an old thread but ive decided to go down the DIY route and buy the windows and fit them myself.

The window firm i want to use said to deduct 10mm off each side for the windows.. is this correct?

For example, my box room window is 1000mm wide by 1220mm high on the outside,

The internal measurements are a lot smaller than this.... (dont have them to hand but will get them)

If i take 10mm off the window that would make it 980 by 1200....

So as long as the internal reveal is not smaller/bigger than this it will be ok?

Can anyone suggest the best way to work this all out?

Thanks

Ok, just checked the measurements and the external size is 1000 x 1220 but the internal is 940 x 1165

The internal reveals have been overboarded and then plastered....

whats the best way to progress?

I'm fitting the windows myself so supplier can't measure them... I'm confident in the installation just need some advice on the sizes as they aren't straight forward

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back