Am I being ripped off?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

I'm installing a new hole in the wall fire in place of my old back boiler. I've been told I need a new chimney cowl / rainguard as it has an old class 2 gas cap there at the moment. I'm told that the fire I want needs a bigger opening than that and a pot/ cowl is required.

Is this really true or is it just a way of fitters to add stuff on and make money. Why didn't my back boiler need a rainguard?

I'm asking because lots of fitters insistd also that I needed a new flue liner...however after talking to an expert, he said it's not necessary.

Sponsored Links
Ask yourself why the "expert" doesn't install it and give you a warranty.

When your back boiler was removed they would have probably left the old 5" liner in the chimney. I imagine that this liner would be a few years old and therefor no fitter could guarantee the liner would last the life span of your new fire and therefor not fit to it. have the liner removed and the chimney swept and tested to ensure it is safe to be used with your new fire. At the chimney head the terminal, ( gas cap) must be the same height or taller than the existing pots that are there and be of the correct type required by your gas fire, ie a minimum 7" terminal compared to the current 5". If you look up at the chimney you will be able to see if there are pots there already this will let you know the size you require.
remember even after your chimney has been swept loose lining material will still fall down on to your new fire. Sometimes even though the chimney passes smoke tests this stuff falling may require it to be relined.
Hope this helps

Have a careful look at the Installation Instructions for the fire you like. If it doesn't ask for xyz there, ask where it does.

Sponsored Links
So why asking LOTS of fitters do you choose to believe the one that will cost less money.
Your expert is wrong he cannot make such a comment without physically checking the liner
As chris says if manufacturers instructions ask for something then this is the guide.
What fire are you getting
What sort of chimney do you have

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back