Amazon, wierd delivery route.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two days ago (Sunday) I ordered something from Amazon. I'm not in a hurry for it so, I chose standard delivery with an estimated delivery date of Wednesday 5th.
Last night I got an e-mail at 10pm to say it had been dispatched from the warehouse in Dunfermline, which is only 20 miles away.
This morning at 11:30 it arrived at Warrington?
That means that it had to pass within 400 yards of my house to be taken 200 miles away and on it's return trip it will again pass by my house to go to either the GPO place or a distribution courier both on the west side of Edinburgh.
If they had the facilities, I could have gone and picked it up at their place in 20 minutes. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Bureaucracy!

Who was the courier? I find that Amazon is very good at deliveries, especially their own courier company. I have ordered several things from them recently and they have all arrived before the estimated delivery date.

Amazon Marketplace vendors use whatever courier they want but, nevertheless, I have found them to usually arrive earlier rather than later.

Two days ago (Sunday) I ordered something from Amazon. I'm not in a hurry for it so, I chose standard delivery with an estimated delivery date of Wednesday 5th.
Last night I got an e-mail at 10pm to say it had been dispatched from the warehouse in Dunfermline, which is only 20 miles away.
This morning at 11:30 it arrived at Warrington?
That means that it had to pass within 400 yards of my house to be taken 200 miles away and on it's return trip it will again pass by my house to go to either the GPO place or a distribution courier both on the west side of Edinburgh.
If they had the facilities, I could have gone and picked it up at their place in 20 minutes. :rolleyes:

You have to consider that your item was probably one of many thousands which were shipped out to their distribution hub for onward posting. So whether you live 20 miles or 200miles from the warehouse it doesn't mean a fig to their overall process.

yes its the hub and spoke system
they will only collect from there given area to home depot then deliver to a hub then back again to the other delivery area this can be from one end off the road to the other if its on a different round it goes to the hub

you may even find different delivery rounds at the same local depot will go to the hub rather than stay at the depot to avoid storage space i dont know

Sponsored Links
Most if not all overnight parcel deliveries have their hub in the Birmingham area, I've worked for a number of them in the past, the daytime delivery drivers deliver the parcels that came down during the night, they also pick up the collections which can be anywhere, when they get back to their local depot the collections are loaded into a trailer, TNT at Bristol would take four or five up to Tamworth, (thats where I came in) starting late afternoon and the last trailer would leave about 2200hrs, arriving at Tamworth we would drop the trailer on our allocated bay where it was emptied onto a large conveyor belt, the loaders have a number recognition and anything with say 45 gets loaded onto an empty trailer and when full the shutter is pulled down and a driver is designated to take it back to their own depot where it is then loaded onto the small delivery vans ready for the following days work. Pallets and other large items are handled in a similar way using fork trucks. Palletline was situated near Fort Dunlop, Schity Link north of Rugby, Porcel Farce next to Coventry airport, UPS just north of Coventry and so on.

According to the tracking, the parcel is still in Warrington. It's two shock absorbers, I paid £20 each for them. Nobody in Edinburgh was prepared to give me them for less than £25 each so, I got them online.
As I said, I'm in no hurry so, I can amuse myself by watching them as the take a 500 mile round trip to get here.
BTW, they are £50 each at Amazon now. :D

I once ordered some antique effect coat hooks from a company online. Delivery was £7!

If that wasn't bad enough, the company is not only based in Hull, but located next to the place where I was getting my car fixed around the time I had ordered. And they won't let you collect from their site.

The internet can be fantastic for buying some obscure things, but can also be very fustrating.

They arrived today. That's not bad going considering the journey they've had. I've not seen them yet as I had them sent to my mates because I wasn't going to be home.
He's bringing them later.

When it was cheaper to buy vans from ireland .
My mate bought one and guy delivered it on a transporter all way from ireland when he checked the paperwork it had been in storage in yard a mile from his home in northants .
Was then shipped over to ireland and brought back

Sponsored Links
Back