Angle grinder 'stuttering'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 4 1/2" angle grinder that has started 'stuttering' - slowing down/speeding up randomly or simply stopping.

I've checked the brushes and they seem fine. Air blown the insides and checked the internal cable connections.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
What make and how old? I suppose you could have a bad connection or a break in the mains lead

When it starts to misbehave, give the cable a tug side to side......there's a chance that the copper conductors have fractured inside the insulation, giving intermittent contact.
John :)

2 yrs old wickes 4 1/2" model.

Checked the lead visually and voltage at internal terminals.

Sponsored Links
Ok just make sure they touch the armature (not sure if that,s spelt correctly) and make sure the slots in the copper core have no crap in them, if all that,s ok must be the cable.
Hope this helps.
Andy.

Thanks Andy

They seem to touch ok, but I'll recheck

Usually the cable becomes damaged, or the switch going faulty. Could spray some contact cleaner into the switch if you have it. I took apart a faulty switch like that before and found it totally full of dust stopping it operating.

I had the same problem, changed the brushes, and then found the armature was broken. Should have just said sod it, and got a new one for the price they are nowadays.

Should have just said sod it, and got a new one for the price they are nowadays.
Correct.
Cased tools tend to suffer with flex bend memory when packed away into a tight box whereby the flex gets bent severely into the same position each time. As said, it eventually breaks. And its always right by the casing exit point as this is where user stress is most prevalent also.

I know they're cheap, but one gets used to one's own tool :)

Tried another cable but still the same, so
time to replace.

Cheers for all the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back