Another BTU calculation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We need a more powerful radiator in our kitchen as it gets really cold in winter and we have some draft/humidity issues. Currently we have a really knackered looking single fin 90cm x 60cm rad that you can barely feel heat off and it's placed behind the kitchen door, which is often open across it.

Our kitchen is tiny (3m L x 2.76 w x 1.95 h). so we are trying to move some units around to gain an extra workspace and I am thinking could we go for a 60cm x 60cm double or triple fin rad? I used B&Q's BTU calculator which said for above room dim. we need at least 1321btu's.

I've seen a rad called a Kudox Premium Type 21 Double Panel Plus Convector Radiator White 600x600mm for £37 that claims 2845 BTU - 833W. Any advice on if this sounds ok?

We have some issues of heat leakage currently with an alcove built into the outbuilding/toilet block, made of single brick that we were advised is acting as a heat sink and needs insulating. It is a south facing wall.

The alcove however doesn't feel cold like the external wall does, where there is a missing floorboard of 1/3 width that lets drafts from the subfloor earth come straight up into the kitchen and blow winds through our base cupboards, meaning we can't store food, as things just get damp or rusty. Without stripping out the units, we can't remedy that though as no budget.

We plan to also install a single room heat recovery ventilation fan to help remove moist air and retain heat.

Any advice on whether adding A/ a more powerful rad and B/ heat recovery fan system, (which I've seen one at £283 inc VAT by Eclipse + installation) locally + C/ thermally insulating the alcove wall with drywall will make enough difference to the freezing room, or whether I need to do more?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

We need a more powerful radiator in our kitchen as it gets really cold in winter and we have some draft/humidity issues. Currently we have a really knackered looking single fin 90cm x 60cm rad that you can barely feel heat off and it's placed behind the kitchen door, which is often open across it.

Our kitchen is tiny (3m L x 2.76 w x 1.95 h). so we are trying to move some units around to gain an extra workspace and I am thinking could we go for a 60cm x 60cm double or triple fin rad? I used B&Q's BTU calculator which said for above room dim. we need at least 1321btu's.

I've seen a rad called a Kudox Premium Type 21 Double Panel Plus Convector Radiator White 600x600mm for £37 that claims 2845 BTU - 833W. Any advice on if this sounds ok?

We have some issues of heat leakage currently with an alcove built into the outbuilding/toilet block, made of single brick that we were advised is acting as a heat sink and needs insulating. It is a south facing wall.

The alcove however doesn't feel cold like the external wall does, where there is a missing floorboard of 1/3 width that lets drafts from the subfloor earth come straight up into the kitchen and blow winds through our base cupboards, meaning we can't store food, as things just get damp or rusty. Without stripping out the units, we can't remedy that though as no budget.

We plan to also install a single room heat recovery ventilation fan to help remove moist air and retain heat.

Any advice?

I won;t comment on the new rad quality or your calculation, but if the old rad is not getting hot, then changing it for a bigger one will not necessarily solve ypour problem. You need to find out why youu have poor circulation

Hi,

We have our boiler and radiators serviced annually and had a new bolier installed 3 years ago (a Bosch Worcester). It feels hot, it just doesn't radiate out into the room.

instead of moving all of the units around you could put a smiths or myson space heater put in under your units in the plinth, the smallest kicks out 2-3 thousand btus

you should see how many outside walls you have, is it north facing, how high the ceiling, is it cavity wall, double glazed, solid floor ect

if you have a new boiler,pump ect the radiator there at the mo should feel hot to the touch, you might have a valve prob or an air block or a debrie block

Sponsored Links
put a type 22 in as this is a double radiator and double convector as a 21 is doble panel and sing convector

Hi,

We have our boiler and radiators serviced annually and had a new bolier installed 3 years ago (a Bosch Worcester). It feels hot, it just doesn't radiate out into the room.

What do you mean - it feels hot? Is it as hot as the others?
And what does a "radiator service" entail?

I meant a boiler service not radiator. But when I had the new boiler put in, they did a flush. It is more the missing board in the floorboard where the cold air is coming into the kitchen and that is inaccessible as is behind the units. You can only see it by pulling out the cooker, which has rusted away in 7 years with the grill dropping out of its housing due to the rust!

Thanks for the recommendation on type 22 radiator! Found it and it looks good! Unfortunately I chose half term week to try and get out a plumber. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back