Another extractor fan wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok. Asked a similar question yesterday but this one is slightly different hence the new post.

I have just replaced a standard extractor fan with a humidistat/timer one.

The fan is powered from a fused switch. The old fan had a switched and permanent live and a neutral, as does the new one. The permanent and switched lives were connected with a wee loop of cable as well as the live cable.

I have done the same for the new fan but now it is just running constantly whereas I had hoped it would only turn on when the humidity was at the set level.

Should this work or does it need the 3 cables - 2 live and one neutral?

Thanks.

*Edit* I've removed the link to the switched live and I think it is working. Again would that sound right?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There isn't a pl and a sl, that's the issue. Although I don't really want it triggered by a switch, I want it sitting monitoring the humidity and to turn on at a given point, not when someone turns say a light on.

... but you said there was a three-core and earth and it ran for the same amount of time, so it must be wired 'properly'.

If you connect the PL and SL terminals with a link it will run all the time.
If you don't want it to come on with the light then just connect the PL wire to PL terminal.

Sponsored Links
... but you said there was a three-core and earth and it ran for the same amount of time, so it must be wired 'properly'.

If you connect the PL and SL terminals with a link it will run all the time.
If you don't want it to come on with the light then just connect the PL wire to PL terminal.

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear - the old fan had the 3 connectors but the cable was only 3 core, live, neutral and earth. There isn't a trigger switch which is why I assume there isn't a switched live.

I have indeed removed the switched live link and it is working fine.

Thanks for the help.

It's not connected to a light. It is on its own spur. The one in my other thread was the one connected to the light switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back