Another peeling paint thread.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

There is a very recent thread with similar issue......which I have read but just want your thoughts regardless, as every situation is different.

I have posted photos of my peeling bathroom ceiling paint here //www.diynot.com/diy/media/albums/ceiling-above-shower.25656/

The house is 30years old. Original ceiling finish Artex.
3 years ago, we employed a plasterer to prep-bond-skimcoat smooth plaster on top of the artex. He did a good job. After the plaster had fully dried, I mist coated possibly twice, probably using the basic B&Q own brand white emulsion. Top coat was B&Q 'Bathroom' paint.

New power shower fitted so there is a fair bit of steam generated inside the shower cubical and the only way it can go is upwards to get out over top of glass panel. Hence it seems to concentrate on the two patches which are peeling. Over time, the paint began to sag slightly over a small area, this got bigger until eventually the sagging paint cracked/split and just been getting bigger since. There are other areas slightly sagging but they dryout again and have not split as yet.

Grateful if someone could sense check my proposal and answer my queries.

1. Immediately after the shower has been used (paint sags during showering), scrape off the ceiling paint back to sound perimeter area (use a wallpaper scraper???)

2. Sponge the plaster with disinfectant to kill bacteria, let it dry

3. 1 x Mist coat using Macpherson trade CONTRACT matt emulsion, NOT vinyl matt emulsion

4. Mix up filler (what kind of filler???), and using a broad metal filling knife, run it along the edge of the remaining paint, pressing so hard that, apart from the step, you can see through it.

(follow perimeter of the patch with half the width of the knife on the existing paint & half on the bare patch???)

5. When filler fully dry, wipe it (don't rub) with extra fine sandpaper

6. 1 x Mist coat using Macpherson trade CONTRACT matt emulsion, NOT vinyl matt emulsion

7. 1 x top coat using Macpherson trade VINYL matt emulsion ??? Or vinyl silk??? or Contract Matt??? Would it be better just to use Contract matt for top coat as well and just let the plaster continually absorb the moisture rather than risk the vinyl paint peel off again??? My concern is that theres just too much steam rising upwards

cheers

Sponsored Links
Sounds almost spot on, except for a few pointers:

• Trade acrylic eggshell is by far the best paint for a bathroom - closely followed by a specific bathroom paint (which is pretty much a watered down retail version of the trade eggshell), so I would recommend that rather than a silk or matt emulsion.
  • From the damp marks showing on the plaster, you may find that you will get some water staining showing through. This would usually be noticeable once the contract matt has dried, so you may need to apply a stain block at that point. Even if it doesn't show then, it may be worth applying some just in case it bleeds through a little while later.

Thanks for the reply mister.

What type of 'filler' should I use here; polyfilla or something a bit more professional? Just ask at the trade counter?

Is there any other methods available to improve the bond between the paint and the plaster to try and prevent the heat/moisture separating the bond? Use an even thinner/watered down mist coat(s) perhaps??

cheers

As long as a suitably diluted mist coat is applied, the filler should be fine. It's hard to say an exact ratio for dilution because all paints viscosity varies, but around 25% water is generally good enough for most standard emulsions - a bit more for thicker trade versions is usually required though.

As for filler, I would go with a powdered filler if you can or, if not, a fine surface filler will be fine. Toupret or Polycell Trade fillers are both good.

Sponsored Links
May I also add, that you may just have the same problem again in the future if you don't try and sort out the cause? A really good extraction fan near the hotspot may help.

Thanks for the replies folks.

There is a fair chance it will re-occur but i'd rather try treating it with a good quality paint first, rather than the upheaval of getting an extractor fitted near the cubicle or using wetwall on the ceiling locally

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back