Another sleeper retaining wall query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We are about to build a retaining wall in our garden using 250 x 150mm x 2.6m sleepers. They are 4 long (10.4m) and stacked 2 high (500mm) but I dont know the easiest way to secure this to the ground.
I am not an expert so would therefore prefer something that is simple, cheap and also tidy.
I have read about various methods including using sleepers or normal timber vertically and attaching, using rebar, using concrete etc.

Unlike the finished product, it seems difficult to find a decent guide with images.

Any help appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
easiest way at that height (which is low) is to concrete some fence posts in behind where the wall will be and secure them to the posts. it wont go anywhere. its how we do it all the time on smaller walls like that

Thanks. A couple of questions if you dont mind.
Will the fence posts not rot in time?
How far down should I put the posts?
Can I avoid going to the top of the sleeper with the attached fence posts? (so that they cannot be seen).

Thanks again :)

use a 4 inch post, or you can use a sleeper if you prefer. Go down 500-600mm. Stop them halfway up the top sleeper and you wont see them. weve gone back to walls done years ago and checked behind with no trace of any rot.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back