Another solid vs engineered wood floor thread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was originally looking into installing an engineered wood floor in my extension. This is an open plan kitchen/living/diner.

The reason for the engineered flooring was that I don't like laminate and solid was assumed to be out of budget.

I've since found out that you can easily find solid wood flooring for the same price as the engineered stuff.

I also assumed solid wood floor was the best stuff, but after a bit more research I've only gotten more confused.

Please someone tell me whats best for my situation! The salesman in the flooring store had no idea and would just say yes to anything!

What is best for a large space (35m2) - kitchen, living, dining area - that is partially a suspended wood floor and partially a solid concrete floor?

Sponsored Links
There is a long winded answer and the short one.

The short one is that engineered wood flooring is more idiot proof.

Otherwise it's down to the appearance and your personal tastes (and you always get what you pay for).

From what I've gathered, both engineered and solid wood flooring look the same once they're laid. And they are both as susceptible to knocks and scratchs as each other (which I'm not bothered about).

Biggest concerns are:

Is it okay to lay solid wood on a solid concrete base?

With the climate in the UK, in a house with central heating, really going to affect the expansion and contraction of solid wood?

Which holds up best against water damage?

Personally Rich I wouls say engineered is much better in terms of durability, it will stand up to a lot more than natural hard wood.

Cant quite beat that natural hardwood look though.

If i was doing mine again i would pick the enginerred stuff to be fair.

Sponsored Links
An engineered floor will be far more dimensionally stable, look like solid wood and be just as hard wearing.

A solid floor fully fixed to the subfloor will incur higher floor prep and installation costs, but feel more solid under foot.

Visually the flooring itself will not really look any different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back