Anti gravity valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A British Gas engineer recently replaced an anti gravity valve because the upstairs radiators were getting hot even when the boiler was just set to hot water. That problem is now solved but 2 of the upstairs rads no longer get warm at all. The engineer came back and said it was an airlock. He did various things but the problem remained so another engineer came and said we just needed the boiler pump turning up and put it to number 2. All the rads now get hot but the pump is very noisy on 2 and they used to get hot with the pump set to 1. Could there be something wrong with the valve, can they be too stiff to open properly? I don't know how these valves work inside.
Would be grateful for any advice as the boiler is below the bedroom of someone who is longterm ill.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
might be a bit of air trapped in the pump, unscrew the screw on the front (or it could be a little hex knob) and see if any air comes out, be careful though as the water can be very hot, and have an old towel ready as it will drip water out.
if just water comes out and no air, then it needs changing, you might have to do it a few times.

The valves are just a spring loaded plunger which prevent circulation unless the pump is on.

As the old one was apparently jammed partly open then its possible the new one is a bit more restrictive.

But its most likely that the rads just need proper balancing. See the FAQ for how to do that.

If you decide to buy a thermometer you will need a contact thermocouple one. The IR ones are useless for that purpose.

Tony

Sponsored Links
They are not anti gravity of course. Just a silly name because they can prevent unwanted gravity circulation.

So far humans have not managed to invent anti gravity [ except in science fiction ].

Tony

They are not anti gravity of course. Just a silly name because they can prevent unwanted gravity circulation.

So far humans have not managed to invent anti gravity [ except in science fiction ].

Tony

I am sure the term antigravity does not apply to the valve but function it performs.........gravity circulation?
Now that is not something out of science tomes!:rolleyes:

So far humans have not managed to invent anti gravity

There was chap who developed an anti-gravity material and made a suit out of it. It worked and he was so elated that, with the formula in his hand, he jumped for joy. He never came back down to earth, last seen at 30,000 feet by a 747 pilot.

Thanks for the replies.
I will try removing any air before thinking about a new pump.

The valves are just a spring loaded plunger which prevent circulation unless the pump is on.
Not all check/NRV's are spring loaded....many use a weighted gate.... Obviously you're not familiar with the "hinged" type as these are mostly used on commercial installations.

I am totally familiar with the flap valve used in many commercial installations including launderettes. I used to be on the Committee of the LOLA.

Also used in water management and canal systems. I used to be on the BBC canal boat management committee.

I am totally familiar with the flap valve used in many commercial installations including launderettes. I used to be on the Committee of the LOLA.

Also used in water management and canal systems. I used to be on the BBC canal boat management committee.

How did you 'manage' that? :p:sneaky:

Don't portray yourself as someone who is clearly not..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back