Antifreeze in central Heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any reasons why you cannot use ethylene glycol antifreeze in a central heating system.

The only reason I can think of is because its poison or toxic in some way.

It has all the inhibitors etc.

Ron

Sponsored Links
Are there any reasons why you cannot use ethylene glycol antifreeze in a central heating system.
The only reason I can think of is because its poison or toxic in some way.

That sounds like a good reason to me. Ethylene glycol is a nasty chemical, antifreeze for heating systems is propylene glycol which is much less toxic. It is used in high performance engines too as ethylene glycol does something to engines but I can't remember what. I think it's something to do with corrosion.

If you put etylene glycol in a heating system some day it will get drained out. To where? It shouldn't go down the sewer, definitely not into a septic tank.

Are you planning to use it in a heating system?

i dont understand why you want to put anti freeze in a heating system, oh well , not for me to ask but to wonder why. I thought it had been asked before and it has, see this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back