"Antiquing" and finishing a solid oak front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently installed a solid oak cottage style internal door which I "distressed" by bashing gently with a steel ruler and sanding some of the sharp edges unevenly before finishing with two coats of Liberon dark oak coloured black bison wax. The effect was amazing. The buffed wax has a warm soft antiquey sheen being dark to black in areas I cut and chipped.

I shall shortly be taking delivery of a solid oak cottage style front door and want to repeat the effect. I'm supposing that a wax finish can't be used outside and so need some recommendations/advice on how to achieve the same look and type of finish.

I do not want to varnish. That leaves oil I think. Are door oils very flat or can they have a slight sheen? And what's the best way of darkening/staining the oak. Does anyone have any experience of Osmo oil woodstain. Or would I be better off with a spirit based stain followed by a clear oil such as Fiddes.

Any other ideas will be gratefully welcomed.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back