Ants are ruining my lawn!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My garden has loads on lumps, bumps and undulations in it. When we first moved in I though it might have been a mole at some point in the past, but there were no new burrows (with dark soil).

I've been trying to level the lawn a bit, by using a spade to cut the turf across each mound, then peeling it back to allow me to dig out the soil below and then relay the turf, hopefully leaving it more level.

Without fail, every single one of these mounds that I've dug into has actually been a red ant colony. Digging down 6 inches reveals hundreds if not thousands of ants in the centre of each mound.

I've removed about 20 mounds, but probably have 50 more (garden is about 400 sq m) and I have noticed new mounds appearing over te past few months and a closer look at these new ones and you can see holes into the ants nest and tiny piles of dry dirt that must have been excavated by the ants.

I've searched the net, but most sites either are talking about ants getting into your home or are pages from much hotter climates where they have much bigger ants and nests.

So how do I get rid of them?? Some of these websites talk about ant poison that the workers take back to the colony which kills the queen but I can't find that for sale anywhere in the UK.

Any suggestions that don't entail covering my whole garden with ant powder or cornflower would be greatfully received.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Hadn't come across them before but worth a punt.

Just need to find a local stockist as they need to be kept refrigerated so Internet ordering would be a bit pointless.

Nippon Liquid (it comes in a tube like a small toothpaste) will poison the nest in a matter of days. I have never come across such as large infestation as you describe, though. One tube will last a typical houshold foer several years, but I think you might get through several tubes.

You put a couple of drops on a non-absorbent object such as a coin, and they will feed on it and take it back to the nest. it will be washed away by rain or heavy dew, so renew daily until ants are gone.

Liquid, not powder.

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/P~156563~Nippon-Ant-Killer-Liquid-30ml

Sponsored Links
or a pet

9915285-giant-anteater-myrmecophaga-tridactyla.jpg

That would be a great conversation starter at bbqs ... Have you met Otis my aardvark? :LOL:

Thanks for the suggestion of Nippon John - at that price it's worth a punt even though it says it is aimed at black ants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back