Any idea on BTU or wattage of this Rad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got the pictured rad in our front room - it is going to be removed and replaced with a Quinn Round top on another wall.

As far as I can find online from tables etc it is saying the existing rad is about 3200w but this seems to be a bit on the generous side when I compare this to stated figures for the quinn radiators (Quinn Round Top Radiator 600x1400 Double Convector - Rating: 2720watts / 9283btu DT50)

The existing radiator measurements are 1200 x 700mm - does anyone recognise the convector fins and care to guess a wattage/BTU?View media item 98420
Failing that should I be OK so long as the surface area is about the same and spec is broadly similar i.e. both are 8400cm² double panel, double convector?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Why not look up the output for size you are taking out and then see what 600 high radiator length gives you same output

If you are happy with heat present rad puts out, you will be happy with new rad. Forget calculating/ guessing heat output of present rad- just look it up on Quinn spec sheet

As far as I can find online from tables etc it is saying the existing rad is about 3200w but this seems to be a bit on the generous side. The existing radiator measurements are 1200 x 700mm
I don't know where you got the 3200W from, but the Quinn 1200 x 700 double convector only produces 2630W. Fancy shaped fins will only have a minimal effect on the output; certainly not a 22% increase. The only way a 22% increase can be obtained is by 'cheating'; that it to state the rad outputs at a higher water temperature than other manufacturers.

Until 1997 radiator output was measured according to British Standard BS 3528, which specified: flow temperature 90C; return temperature 70C and room temperature 20C. This often called a 'Delta T' of 60C. In July 1997 an new, Europe-wide, standard (BS EN442) was introduced which specified: flow temperature 75C, return temperature 65C and room temperature 20C. This is know as a 'Delta T' of 50C. The effect of the changed flow and return temperatures was to reduce radiator outputs by about 20%.

I suspect that the 3200W you have found is based on testing using the 'old' (pre 1997) method. Some suppliers still quote output based on a Delta T of 60C as it makes their rads seem more "efficient". The Quinn rad mentioned above would have an output of 3324W using a 60C Delta T.

Sponsored Links
Heat outputs are not very critical.

Simply a 600 high finned rad is about 1 kW per metre length.

Multiply that by about 1.85 for a double panel.

Always better to have slightly over sized.

A longer single panel spreads the heat better in the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back