Any ideas for extra garden privacy (picture included)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

We have just bought our first house & its lovely....

however I'd underestimated just how low the fence is when you stand on the decking & it makes you feel really exposed.

If our neighbours agree has anyone any suggestions of a way of making the fence higher?

I wondered about a trellis nailed against fence or just above fence line?

Any suggestions welcome

Claire

:)

Sponsored Links
Would it not look better to take out the panels and extend them above the concrete posts? You will have to double baton the ends with the inside one running the full height of the new fence. The original that slides into the post will also nee extending, but just for looks. Put the new piece at the bottom and only go high enough, don't over do it.

Hope this makes sense

Good idea about taking existing fence out I'd not thought of that only sticking something on top.
The willow fencing looks nice too & might give the garden a different feel as bit softer looking.

Sponsored Links
You may be able to get the same panels locally and just cut then with the saw for a perfect match.

Yes, willow is very attractive

With that type of fence, you can easily slide panels up, and place some fence boards underneath, then lower panels again.

Brilliant idea and you can go up in stages, to get the height just right

To give you some idea, I've extended the 4' panels to 6' without taking out the old concrete posts, you then could do what the others says raising the fence panels then I've used the decking boards with 2"x1" batten on both side to hide the missing gap at the top of the old concrete posts.

masona4.jpg

masona3.jpg

Thanks everyone's ideas have been helpful! I'd not thought about sliding the panels out & the picture helps to visualise it & disguise concrete posts

Nice work there - how did you fix the deck boards to the concrete posts?
Just screw the 2"x1" to the fence panels, then screw the decking boarding onto the 2"x1", about 6 screws, won't take long to undo it. This way there's no screws in the concrete posts.

if it's windy, trellis is less inclined to blow over than solid panels.

should you so desire, you can paint concrete posts with masonry paint to blend them in with the woodwork. It works better with dark than with light browns.

View media item 975

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back