Any ideas how to repaint this ? Lead on top of bay window looks horendios at the moment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20160519_090518.jpg

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't paint it myself as will peel off. Try oil for lead? Just an idea!

Been painted at some point but looks a mess now b4 we moved in n wud like to sort in

Sponsored Links
Been painted at some point but looks a mess now b4 we moved in n wud like to sort in
If you can be bothered, remove the old paint? Am pretty sure paint will always peel off lead, but happy to be corrected. If not, get yourself some suitable paint (have a google for correct type) and prepare yourself for always having to do it again in the future.

How about using some graphite grate polish just to blacken everything and make it look like new lead again?

Thanks guys ill get some oil and have a dabble carnt look any worse lol

As said patination oil is probably the best thing.
That said I have been asked to repaint lead work . To be honest I never think it's the best idea but trying to clean up seventy odd year old lead is probably more trouble than it's worth and besides the customers wanted it repainting. The old paint will come off pretty easily but one thing to watch is that it will have oxidised under the lead and you don't reall want to be breathing that in. You'll know if you do as you'll have a sweet taste in your mouth , the white deposits on the lead are a mixture of compounds but were commonly know as lead sugar.
I removed the old paint and cleaned the surface with wet wire wool , then primed it with Isofix pegaprim , shellac based similar to zinseer BIN then topcoats . As yet there's not been a problem and it hasn't come off but I dare say time will tell.

Sponsored Links
Back