Any ideas on the reasons for installing a pumped bypass???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to connect a district heating scheme supply into a large existing domestic central heating system. It has two linked 45KW boilers via a common manifold with four zones off it - 2 ground floor circuits, 1 first floor circuit and a separat supply to the DHWC. The whole lot comes back through a common return which t's to both boilers. There are a couple of antique gate valve bypasses and all of this makes sense and seems to work reasonably well. The thing we cannot understand is why there is an additional bypass with a 15/50 grunfoss pump from the common flow manifold to the common return. We need to take this out in order to plumb in the district heating supply as to do so we will isolate the boilers from the system leaving them as a back up. However we don't want to do this until we understand the necessity for a pumped bypass. Anyone got any ideas on this? :eek:

Sponsored Links
It's most likely a shunt pump to maintain a minimum boiler return temperature. They sometimes work in conjuction with three port modulating mixers or can be separate.
With the valve it shuts the load port and goes unto by-pass. The spring loaded by-pass or low loss header then takes the flow until the return temperature is satisfied. My understanding is that the shunt pump set up is cheaper. I think they are sized to take 30% of the flow but I stand to be corrected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back