Any ideas what this hole in my floor is for...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
all,

I took up the flooring in my house into which I just moved in. I noticed that there appears to be a piece of floorboard missing with what appears to be a metal lined chute going down under the flooring. I cannot see where it goes, and have not removed any other boards.

Does anyone have any clue as to what it is for, and should it be left uncovered like that, as I want to carpet the room.

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 189
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 169
Sponsored Links
Jwerdna, hi.

If as previous post by Burnerman is correct what age and type is the property?

Reason for the question is that sometimes, I stress the word Sometimes warm air heating can, again I stress can contain Asbestos?

Ken

Thanks for the replies. Ken, it's a 1930's detached house. It has regular central heating with a combi boiler. That vent only seems to be in that one room too... The other rooms don't appear to have any of these.

Sponsored Links
You are almost certainly correct John. There is a large pipe running underneath. However, of more concern is this white material that is present underneath other floorboards. I am certainly no expert whatsoever, but am concerned regarding the mention of asbestos. Do you happen to know if this would be asbestos? I am scared to touch it to see what it is given the concerns. I will get an expert survey if required...

I have included the below photo.

Thanks again for the help

Attachments

• IMG_3243.jpg
    IMG_3243.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 154
I'm sorry but I've no idea what that substance is, or indeed what it is doing there.....I haven't come across fluffy asbestos in any domestic property before.
Usually warm air ducts would be wrapped with glass wool, if the run was long, and the warm air unit boxed in with asbestolux sheets.
Lets see what the others have to say - its easy to get asbestos analysed however.
Can I ask how old the property is, and what texture that substance has (without disturbing it?)
If its dusty, soak it with water.
John :)

Thanks again for the quick response John. It doesn't appear to be dusty. I haven't touched it yet, as got worried at the mention of asbestos! The property is 1930's, but has been modernised since. Clearly, the property used to have the warm air heating that you mentioned, but this has since been replaced as there are now radiators and a modern combi boiler. I thought at first the material may have been polystyrene, but don't think it is now. I can only describe it as looking similar to salt rocks or something... I will try very tentatively to feel the texture...

I've now very tentatively felt the substance - it is almost like a powder....?? I touched it very gently with my fingertip and it was akin to pushing into talcum powder or something similar. Left a powdery residue on my finger?

Asbestos as an underfloor insulation would have a wool like appearance and I don't think it was ever white.....it was used to fill the underfloor area entirely.
Is there any musty smell down there, and is the sub floor earth instead of concrete?
Puzzled and interested!
John :)

Thanks John. I appreciate your help. I'll let you know what it is when I eventually get it figured out... As long as it's not asbestos I don't mind! I'll get someone over next week to take a look. Perhaps someone from local council.

I'll keep you posted! Thanks again,
Andrew

The white material looks like excess cavity wall insulation. We have similar material at various points under the floor, near external walls where there is a gap in the inner leaf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back