Any margin of error allowed in PD loft volume calcs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My loft is under way and it is being done under PD. Due to a few small errors in terms of the drawing it looks like I might go over the 50m3. It will be by a tiny amount circa total of 51.3m3.

If the loft were to be checked might this margin be allowed in 'tolerances' or is it very strict?

It is not too late to adjust the build to bring it back under 50m3 though of course it will cost me money, time and I'll end up with a little less space then I thought I had. But of course I'd rather do it now than be forced to do it when completed.

Advice appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When I done my loft conversion in my last house, I went over by moving the dormer window out to gain more room. No problems as it looked as it should be from the drawings.................just a bit bigger. :LOL: :LOL:

Andy

It will be a technical breach which, if there is sufficient merit to investigate will be a breach for which full permission will be required.

In reality, it will be very unusual for planners to be interested or to measure this closely

Sponsored Links
Morning

I did a job for somebody recently, I drew up a dormer to ensure we met PD guidelines. Through the combination of the client + builder they decided to build it bigger, but in this case they built the cheeks of the dormer off the party walls + not stepped in as per my drawings.

Therefore they clearly had a larger than usual dormer, this combined with a neighbours constant complaints led to a planning officer paying a visit + hence planning enforcement taking action.

It's entirely at your risk mate, but if you can still make the changes I'd suggest you ensure compliance. Yes Planning Officers will only run the rule over something if they suspect something generally.........but I would never recommend a client to take that risk.

Thanks for all the advice guys but I feel I may have wasted your time.

We measured everything up this morning and even though one dimension was mmarginally bigger than plannned quite a few of the other planned dimensions are actually smaller. The net result is that the total volumme is less than I first thougt!!

This now makes me wonder whether I could add another small dormer.

I will pose this question in a new thread and would welcome your input

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back