Any Painters & Decorators out there???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had our hallway and landing painted (white), and the chaulking in my view, is horrendous! Can any professional painters and decorators out there take a look at the photos in my "Chaulking" album, I just want to know if I'm being unreasonable... Is this an acceptable quality finish? I expected much neater and straighter edges.

Thanks in advance...

Cheshire Homeowner

Sponsored Links
It's not the worst I've seen but definitely not the best either. Did you pay a professional dec to do this work? It's caulking by the way ;)

It's best to avoid duplicate posts. I and some others have already replied to this in "Your Projects".

That caulking is simply not acceptable. Decorating is not rocket science, it's simply a case of having a modicum of skill and knowing how to use your materials. Clearly the person who did this doesn't know how to caulk.

Unfortunately the Supply of Goods and Services Act indicates that you need to give them a chance to put it right, which is unfortunate, as the general standard of the painting in those pictures suggests that they're not going to be able to.

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/brighton-hove/con1item.cgi?file=*adv0015-1011.txt

Possibly if you could get them to come and look at it and agree that it's sub-standard (perhaps with a competent decorator, DIY or professional, there for moral support) you might be able to come to an arrangement with them.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Caulking is phish easy, more so when the user uses it as intended.

The general idea is gun on and use a damp cloth and wipe off (and smooth in) all surplus so it only ends up sitting in gaps, crevices, light cracks and seam lines such as wall to ceiling, wall to wall, wall to joinery.

I'm not convinced that-

Any wipe off was done

Caulk was used at prep stage pre paint

It wasn't applied as the finish (just as you would with a sealant)

It's actually caulk, it might well be sealant (stab it with a pin, rubber feel = sealant)

The idea is caulk at prep and paint over. It's not a finish product.

I bet he was cheap though. He's obviously not a pro.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back