Any safety/ technical issues for using lead pipe for gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In regulation 5 (2) of Gas Safety(Inst. and Use) Regulations. it mentions:
"no person shall install in a building any pipe or pipe fitting for use in the supply of gas which is -
(a) made of lead or lead alloy;"

Is it any safety issue / technical problem for using lead/lead alloy for gas supply?

Sponsored Links
I actually had a customer whose installer customer couldn't get his head around why he should convert from yellow MDPE to copper before it entered the house :!:

Sponsored Links
In regulation 5 (2) of Gas Safety(Inst. and Use) Regulations. it mentions:
"no person shall install in a building any pipe or pipe fitting for use in the supply of gas which is -
(a) made of lead or lead alloy;"

Is it any safety issue / technical problem for using lead/lead alloy for gas supply?

Simplez Regs say not to so we don't and as gas installers we don't question the written word in our bible. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just about everything will burn/melt/distort in a fire, copper just holds its integrity a lot longer than lead

It was used for meter tails years ago, before flexible pipe became available.
I know of one old meter where the lead had allegedly pinholed, causing a slight smell of gas.

It was used for meter tails years ago, before flexible pipe became available.
I know of one old meter where the lead had allegedly pinholed, causing a slight smell of gas.

I've seen a few anacondas pi55 with gas due to a tiny spot of flux on them!

Simplez Regs say not to so we don't and as gas installers we don't question the written word in our bible

Most of this forum is based on questioning, bedating and interpreting the "written word"!! :eek:

FiremanT said:
Simplez Regs say not to so we don't and as gas installers we don't question the written word in our bible

Most of this forum is based on questioning, bedating and interpreting the "written word"!! :eek:

That may be so, but regs are regs, no amount of debate will change a Reg.

That may be so, but regs are regs, no amount of debate will change a Reg.

I wasn't suggesting anyone should use lead, but simply stating that it was used 50+ years ago, before something better became available, and that it was prone to start leaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back