Any tips on cutting thick vinyl flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm laying sheet vinyl flooring that is 4.2mm thick. I've laid the same stuff before but because it is so thick I've found it hard to gauge exactly where to cut.

If you press a straight edge up to the flooring against the wall you get quite bend between the floor and the wall. I managed it last time with the help of sealant but I'd like to hear if there are any tricks to this to get a nice straight line so the cut edge lands flush to the skirting.

Cheers,

Dan

Sponsored Links
There are a number of different kinds of 4.2 sheet vinyl, if thats what you mean?
Or do you mean 4.2 cushioned sheet vinyl?
Anyway, its best to make a template, and then mark and cut the vinyl from the template.

Once cut lines are marked, use a utility knife against a straight edge to just nick the line by cutting into the wear layer and then use a hooked blade to follow the shallow guide cut you've already made.

A template is best way with no experience. I use a hook blade to trim it all in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back