Any value replacing wooden window lintel? Renovating room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm renovating a room completely A to Z. Another room I did, the window wall when sorting out the plastering, I found the wooden window lintel had dry rot, and I replaced it with a concrete lintel.

Now I'm doing this second room, the wooden window lintel is fine. Is there any value in changing it now I have the opportunity?

Will it affect future plans, eg if I had a loft conversion done in the future? I read something in the past about joists above windows and how they are affected.

Also damaged / cracked floorboards, the 6x1 you can buy are about 5mm too small when replacing, what do people normally use when fixing these?

Many Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Structurally speaking there is nothing wrong with timber beams/lintels as long as they are suitable for the loads.

However, as you have already pointed out, they are subject to damage more easily regards fire, rot or insect infestation.

I would replace if it was part of a larger renovation project.

Use 18mm wbp for floor repairs or either buy some machined to suit or go to a reclamation yard if the boards are on show

As above, if it's in good condition, why replace?
If you ever did a loft conversion, it won't be subject to much additional loading, if any.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back