Anybody Know The Stockport Area Well?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hi, not sure how much you managed to find out about the estate and when it was built- but I do know that my dads family all grew up there! His mum and Dad were one of the first residents on the estate when it was built, along with his aunt and uncle round the corner!! My dad and his 3 siblings were all born in the bank as were all his cousins! My dad was born in 1947, his middle brother in 1945 and his eldest brother in 1938. All defiantly born in the bank- the family moved off the estate in the late 70's when all the trouble started but the whole family have very fond memories of the bank!

That's really interesting, thanks!

I was guesstimating it was built around '36.

Do you have any pictures of the estate?

I don't sadly- I would love to know where all their pictures went of when they were young! There are many stories that I remember being told- they never wanted for anything on that estate- they has smiths crisps, cadburys and the mineral factory at the bottom of the hill where they got regular hand outs! There was endless coal on the railway sidings, and they had the park just at the back of them!

My dad remembers playing in the air raid shelters as a child he was convinced til the day he died that the brinksway shelters are connected to the main shelters in Stockport - he had an amazing memory my dad and he vividly remembers being able to get all the way through to stockport town centre from brinksway!

I will ask around the remaining family if they have pics but I don't think they could afford a camera! Ha ha!

I know it's been a while, but I thought I would update this thread.

For anyone who is interested, the old Gorsey Bank housing estate has been redeveloped into an industrial estate:

The original entrance to the housing estate was opposite Myrtle Road: You can see the remains of the road. Google shows the estate during construction, but work is now finished.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4055097,-2.1842183,125m/data=!3m1!1e3

I know it's been a while, but I thought I would update this thread.

For anyone who is interested, the old Gorsey Bank housing estate has been redeveloped into an industrial estate:

The original entrance to the housing estate was opposite Myrtle Road: You can see the remains of the road. Google shows the estate during construction, but work is now finished.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4055097,-2.1842183,125m/data=!3m1!1e3
Have you seen the new 'bypass' which connects Heaton Norris directly with Wellington Rd North, going under the railway arches?
A good piece of engineering, which was long overdue. Pity about the Redrock centre, though - voted the worst new building in England last year.

Yes! It is great.
But I always wondered why they didn't do it when building the M63 in 1979.
Redrock is UGLY!!! But my lads say the cinema is good.

The joke was they built Redrock to replace Grand Central which was built on goods yards near Edgeley station (now Stockport) that got a similar reception when it was completed and over the years got a bad reputation and was demolished.

Sponsored Links