Anyone Need a Plumbers Mate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I hope this isn't against forum rules. I'm soon to be made redundant - this is coming as no surprise to me as I have been negotiating a way out for some months. As I knew I would soon have an opportunity, I have taken the plunge and recently completed my C&G Level 2 in plumbing with the aim of changing careers after many years of dreaming about it.

I know that weekend courses are frowned upon by you professionals, and I fully admit that whilst I have a plumbing qualification, I am not yet a plumber!! The next step for me is to gain some real life experience. Does anyone need a very keen and willing plumbers mate, or have any suggestions as to what my next move should be?

I will be finishing work in 2 weeks when I'm going back to college full time to gain a tiling qualification and also start working on my Level 3 and Gas.

I have a van, some tools and common sense - all I need now is to learn the trade.

If anyone is looking for help in Kent/SE London (or surrounding areas) please let me know. I am fully prepared to do any amount of donkey work so long as I'm learning, weekends are also not an issue for me.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate, a lot of determination and a bit of luck needed!!

Sponsored Links
Yeah have done that, some were helpful, others not so - will do the same with the tiling shops once I've done the course. Thanks again, Mike.

Brilliant, thanks for the positive experience, certainly helps the self belief. How did you retrain - did you do an apprenticeship or just dive straight in after a college course? It's experience I'm after - passed all of the level 2 exams with distinctions, but still want some real life training.

Thanks for the reply

Mike

You can come and do my bathroom if you like? I cant be arsed.

Let me get my tiling course done, it's an 8 week course and you're on....so long as you're not in Yorkshire!

8 weeks to do a tiling course,,,,that seems a long time!

It's another C&G course & covers all common materials (tiles, slate, marble etc) also covers screeding, tanking, laying floors and plastering, pretty comprehensive and should get me started!

Should be very good if you pay attention.

I see so many bodged tiling jobs.

But also some excellent ones as well.

Tony

certainly take you much longer to learn plastering in eight weeks not possible, to get a good finish

Hi - thanks for the replies, re the plastering, it's just the basics in order to get walls ready for tiling more than getting a glass smooth finish for decorating, certainly wouldn't achieve that in 8 weeks. It should however give me enough skill/knowledge to make a bit of a living whilst learning the heating/plumbing ropes.......that's the plan anyway....!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back