Anyone recommend cordless drill, up to £200? I'm clueless.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My father, who is a Which? magazine devotee, is looking for a cordless drill, but only has a 2007 review to go on.

Can anyone recommend anything?

The Feb 2007 review recommends the 18V Makita 8444 DWDE3 and 14.4V and 18V Metabo BSZ Impuls, but I've looked on their respective websites and realise both manufacturers have a huge range of drills.

He wants it for any eventuality - drilling in wood, plastic, metal, maybe brick, as screwdriver - and something that will last a long time, although not be used too often and not for professional work. It's for after retirement and he may go up to £200 - it all depends.

From what I can gather, 18V ones seem to be the best for any circumstances and Makita and Metabo seem to be the brands used by the pros.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Blue Bosch, Ryobi, Makita, Metabo. All good.
Spending £200 for a drill is a lot these days, even for a pro. You can get a decent Ryobi kit for £80.

The best for any eventuality would be one of each

Having both a cordless drill and a separate cordless driver is much more useful than buying a single tool. Personally I wouldn't get 18v tools as I find the weight gets a bit tiring. A separate (corded) SDS drill is much better for drilling masonry, as cordless impact drills are only of limited use for this.

if he spends a lot of money on an expensive cordless, and then doesn';t use it much, he may find the batteries fail before he has had much use out of it. I have a few cordless tools where that has happened. Replacement batteries may cost as much as a new tool.

I agree about having a corded and a cordless drill. lots of little jobs are easier with a light cordless, and you can get corded drills of greater power at a much better price.

Sponsored Links
I was doing some little tasks at a friends house yesterday, found a B&D 12v driver in a flowerpot under a chair (dry) - "you can have that its been there for 2 years she said" - still works, I just need to loosen the jaws.
Then found an 18v red cheapo cordless hammer drill with 2 batts in he garden shed she said I can have too, it works fine - I put up a curtain rail with it today.

May not be the best but saves me going & buying a new one (mine has flat batts) for a litle longer.. lol

Thanks for all of the links.

To be honest, I don't think he (or I) will ever need to drill much masonry, except maybe securing something to brickwork - it'll be the usual indoor or outdoor DIY stuff.

We have a 25-year-old-ish corded and incredibly heavy Bosch 350-2 with a hammer action, although I presume it doesn't have any kind of safety clutch.

For reasons of cost, I think we'd prefer just to buy one universal drill, but one which ensures we have whatever is needed for the kind of jobs we should be able to do ourselves.

I can't decide on 14.4V or 18V, though, but I think we'd prefer Makita or Metabo.

Can any of you recommend any of these:
Screwfix:
mx6e22

Makita:
index.php

Metabo:
nl9wpw

Are there any drill accessories to ensure your holes are perpendicular to the outer surface and not off at an angle - something similar to a depth gauge? When I have drilled, it’s been a pain trying to ensure I’m not at the wrong angle.

Lots of questions, I know.

Thanks.

If you want a bargin, go down to your local Fagin's den (secondhand shop)
They usually have quality items that have been liberated from trades people..

Bill Sykes

Are there any drill accessories to ensure your holes are perpendicular to the outer surface and not off at an angle - something similar to a depth gauge? When I have drilled, it’s been a pain trying to ensure I’m not at the wrong angle.

You can buy drill guides for use with standard corded drills, such as this one which are useful for drilling at about 90 degrees to the surface, and also handy for centring holes when drilling battens. I have one fitted to one of my drills permanently. It won't do for precision work, but it remains useful.

In order to learn how to drill perpendicular or level holes freehand, practice by offering up a try square next to the drill and adjust the angle appropriately. You should soon acquire enough confidence to drill freehand without checking with a square.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back