Anyone tried using one of those pipe unblockers?

N

nauseous

Had a bit of a blockage in 2 - 3 inch waste pipe run under wooden floor. Guess it's about 4 mtrs long with a couple of elbows.

Washing machine waste water backed up and spewed up water out top of pipe, have dismantled it down to floor where i plan to feed coiled wire and give it a good jiggle or whatever the term is.

Have been semi successful with scalding hot water and a plunger after about a very tiresome hour made some progress but not confident it will last.

The ones i've seen on ebay that i'm interested in are 5m x 9mm and are less than a tenner delivered. Anyone tried one and do they work or do they just fold up too easily? Any advice welcome peas. Maybe you've a better idea? Have tried to add pic of product but can be found here for full description. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-x-9mm-...413831?hash=item3f6bda6287:g:3u4AAOSwLF1X6pPT

Many thanks.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 115
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I've used that twisting style unblocked with some success on a shower waste, but the bends/elbows proved difficult to navigate. As suggested, a wet vac is better, and it has further uses.

Haven't a local Wikes or any other for that matter so £48 delivered, anyway I'm not sure where i'd keep it as short of space atm. Will keep it in mind and might look on ebay for one later thanks.
Am thinking maybe a long plastic curtain track might be better as they're more robust but they only go up to 5mtrs afaik, have measured again and pipe run probably more like 6mtrs.

Anyone know where i'd get a 6mtr long flexible track rod or similar from please?

Sponsored Links
Try the curtain forum!
rofl.
I actually invested in a wet vac a long time ago and I wouldn't be without it.
Can i borrow it please? You may drop it off at your leisure. JK.
Seriously tho, how do you use it, do you run hot water through the kitch sink to aid shifting the crud whilst using it? Would it be better to run hand basin tap so water is behind the crud. Is the suction going to be powerful enough? Would blowing be better than sucking? Can't help thinking rodding it with a curtain track will be more effective but could be wrong of course.
Waste runs off to soil pipe btw.

What's the point on coming onto a website and asking pros for advice, a job that we do every day and then talk how you think you will fix the problem.

Andy

If you can get a curtain track down the pipe, by all means give it a go. If you can rotate it at the same time, even better as this will scrape the crud off the walls of the pipe. Curtain wire may get along the pipe but if all it does is poke a hole through the obstruction, you wont achieve much. If accessible it may just be easier to either cut into the pipework and fit some cleaning eyes when you rejoin it, or replace the lot altogether. I'd also check where it joins the stack, and make sure the pipe hasn't been pushed too far in so it is abutting the far side of the stack inside.

If you can get a curtain track down the pipe, by all means give it a go. If you can rotate it at the same time, even better as this will scrape the crud off the walls of the pipe. Curtain wire may get along the pipe but if all it does is poke a hole through the obstruction, you wont achieve much. If accessible it may just be easier to either cut into the pipework and fit some cleaning eyes when you rejoin it, or replace the lot altogether. I'd also check where it joins the stack, and make sure the pipe hasn't been pushed too far in so it is abutting the far side of the stack inside.
Thanks. Apart from the kitch sink and wm waste outlet accessing the pipes is out of the question atm, so do you agree that rodding the pipe is the way forward then? I would hazard a guess that wet vacking or whatever it's called may be useful at times but is possibly a bit hit and miss. I could be wrong of course but unless people that use them that know how to use them properly offer their knowledge, experience, and tips etc come forward we'll never know i guess.

I have a wet vac so would be giving that a go, but the old fashioned way of doing it was a curtain wire down the pipe. I remember my Gramp unblocking their kitchen sink with a piece of wire 40 years ago! My only concern is rather than just piercing the blockage, you really need to be digging as much out as you can, if the end of the wire can be made to fill as much of the bore of the pipe as possible then so much the better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back