1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Approx. How Long to build a new roof?

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by P.Q, 22 Jan 2004.

1. P.Q

P.Q

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We have a potential roofing company doing a new roof on our 3-bedroom end of terrace house. He quoted us that it would only take a 1.5 days. This seemed like a very short time to do the work and we are concerned that he may be a cowboy. He also quoted us a price of 3k and everybody else has been closer to 10k. Would anybody be able to give me a ballpark figure for a new roof?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. breezer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    you can make a new roof in a couple of hours, its called a tarpaulin.

what material is he quoting, ask to "see one he made earlier"

3. masona

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You maybe right unless it's a wendy house roof. :)

A lot depend how many people working on it and as always inspect some of their work.Have a look at the cementing and lead flashing to see if it's neat work etc.

What shape is your roof and how big is the area approx ?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. DAZB

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is !
    You don't say if it is a back to back or a through terrace but a general breakdown would be as follows :

1) Strip , felt and relat one elevation...............one day
    2) Load new slate/tiles , fit ventilation to eaves, prep leadwork......one day
    3) Slate/tile one elevation............one day
    4) Ridges and verges and any other outstanding bits.........one day

This is based on my experience with two roofers fitting and a labourer doing the fetching and carrying etc. Of course there may be many factors that can affect this time scale like access , height , pitch and shape of roof ,type and size of materials used , and of course the speed of the labour because some can work at a pace and others prefer to plod on nice and steady.If you could give a bit more detail about what your roof has on now and what you are having it replaced with and the size of the roof and the area you live etc I may be able to be more specific.

5. Building Contractor

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sounds like the old trick of saying it will take such and such a time to look good, when in fact it will take him an age...and he will be back for more money with the old proverb "I've found a few rotten roof rafters" :cry: