Approximate cost of a new slate roof

From the look of the photos using Welsh slate may the best bet - unless you want your roof to look different to everyone elses in the area - unless there is a cumbrian slate that is this sort of colour. The slates look pretty thick - I know Welsh slate comes in different grades - 6mm to 10mm - but not too sure of the sizes. If you go to www.welshslate.com - it probably tells you the size. Nearly all Welsh slate originates from this company as they own all the main quarries.

If you can get reclaimed Welsh slate it is pretty reasonable - but only about 30% less than new slate.

Both Welsh and Cumbrain slate are good quality - the slate from other countries just aint the same quality. Welsh slate is technically superior but some prefer the colour of some other slates.

Sponsored Links
I know that Welsh slates are better and therefore more expensive than Spanish slates, but I just can't afford to pay £39,000 or so I have been quoted to have the roof done with Welsh slates. So regardless of how much better they are than Spanish slates I can't afford them.

I was therefore looking for a viable alternative - possibly using a better quality Spanish slate so I was looking for some advice on what a reasonable cost would be for this based on the size of my house and which Spanish slates were the better quality ones.

For example, I was looking around the internet myself for information and found slates called Cupa heavy 3 which said they are guaranteed for 100 year lifespan and have been selected for the Scottish market because of their similarity to Scottish slates.

Is this true or is it just advertising hype? Are there any Spanish slates that are well regarded?

I have also read that it is important to use the correct felt for the slates and the type of nails can also make a difference. Could anyone point me in the right direction with what I should be asking my contractor to use for this job?

Camster, I'm based in Glasgow and also keen on a new roof and have a similar profile roof so I'd be interested to hear you ultimately go with and the outcome.

Sponsored Links
Broondog, sure no problem. I'm looking at getting the work done july / August time, so would this still be of help to you?

If you have had any quotes so far, maybe we could compare them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back