Arched door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe somebody can advise or possibly give me some ideas on cost of my requirements

I need to make a door lining for an arched opening.. simply put i want the timber sextion to be 150mm x 70mm, the doorway is about 1500 wide structurally, the arch as quite a rounded radius. i have a template drawn out on plyboard of the structural opening. on site i am hearing all manner of ways to achieve this... the frame will eventually be rebated for a 44 mm door, with the rebate depth being 20 ish mm, the doorway is internal and softwood will suffice as it will be decorated.

Feedback much appreciated

Russell

Sponsored Links
I need to make a door lining for an arched opening.. simply put i want the timber sextion to be 150mm x 70mm, the doorway is about 1500 wide structurally, the arch as quite a rounded radius. i have a template drawn out on plyboard of the structural opening.
At that section by rights it should be done in the shop on the spindle with a ring fence, especially as it's rebated

As that isn't a possibility I'd probably make-up a full size template, jigsaw 44mm thick softwood pieces rough to size (leaving the top flat) then template rout the pieces to form the curves using a top bearing template cutter in several pases to get the depth. You'll need 3 pieces of 44mm thick stuff plus one about 18mm thick which then need to be glued and clamped together. Rebate might be better taken out by making a separate template for one of the pieces with the rebate already accounted for in the radius

If the top of the head also needs to be radiused (to fit a curved masonry head) do this after the routing so that you'll have some support beneath your router template.

For finishing and adjustment I'd use my compass plane

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back