Archie Kidd boilers are they still trading

Yes, although I've no idea how you would pm me. Haven't worked out Facebook yet, so pms are way out of order. You could always send me an email through our website contact page though.

Sponsored Links
I've never seen one but I've heard they were the Rolls Royce of boilers.

Is that right Simon?

Yes, that is what has been said. They are not perfect but considering the design is more of less unchanged since 1981 their lifespan is greater than most other condensing boilers. Mr Kidd ran his first condensor in his house in 1959. He designed belt driven wind farms on his land in the 50s, because they were quieter. He was a fellow of the IEE and MIEE.

The forum being what it is, I'm wary of saying too much because someone will come along who says they know more about boilers, and Kidd are rubbish. That's the internet for you.

But in my view Mr Archie Kidd was one of our great UK boffins, a relatively unknown gentleman who really cared about energy conservation, before such matters became fashionable. His designs all stood up as planet saving, were simple to manufacture and were engineered to last. Mr A Kidd, his son, continued the tradition started by his father.

I heat my house with a 2002 Kidd boiler, although they were 3 times more expensive than most of the other stuff I had to have one. We fitted a fair few in domestic and commercial applications until recently over Kent, Surrey and South London.

Yes, although I've no idea how you would pm me. Haven't worked out Facebook yet, so pms are way out of order. You could always send me an email through our website contact page though.
@simond you sound like me, Luddites of the world unite!!

Basically i've got a model 1 in a customers house which has started to corrode through the top access panel, i'll try and post a photo. Is it likely to be the condense tray?
If so have you got one i could get dimensions of to get one fabricated?

Attachments

• IMG_2593.JPG
    IMG_2593.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 156
Sponsored Links
You need to take the top white casing off, this is a white model so is not older than around 16 yrs. Unlikely to be condense tray, more likely the sealant hasn't been applied properly around the inner economiser access door on annual servicing, or the wrong sealant has been used.

If the tray has gone it is a pig to change, but the white casing would have rotted at the base of the economiser, not usually around the panel pictured. Also, the lid would be rusty.

You need to take the top white casing off, this is a white model so is not older than around 16 yrs. Unlikely to be condense tray, more likely the sealant hasn't been applied properly around the inner economiser access door on annual servicing, or the wrong sealant has been used.

If the tray has gone it is a pig to change, but the white casing would have rotted at the base of the economiser, not usually around the panel pictured. Also, the lid would be rusty.

I've had it all off, couldn't see anything obvious, it's a 2002 model.

It'll almost certainly be a pin hole in the mastic around the economiser cleaning panel; try squirting LDF over it.

I heat my house with a 2002 Kidd boiler, although they were 3 times more expensive than most of the other stuff I had to have one. We fitted a fair few in domestic and commercial applications until recently over Kent, Surrey and South London.

I've had it all off, couldn't see anything obvious, it's a 2002 model.

Sounds like they are both the same year model.

Can swop parts!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back