Architect complaint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Looking for some advice.
In November 2013 we instructed an architect to complete drawings for a loft conversion. This cost £3000.00. He came around, did measurements, and produced the drawings (He didn't actually go up in the loft). It took many months for us to receive these drawings. Contact the council and instruct Building Control.

The next door neighbours are Housing Association and they instructed a Surveyor to look over the plans. He was instructed in January 2013 and inspected the next doors house. (We've also paid for their surveyor - as I understand we're the ones undertaking the work - so that's normal procedure.)

Their Surveyor noticed that our party wall from the ground to half way up has two rows of bricks (side by side) , but then it slims down to 1 row up to the top floor ceiling. He basically stated that the Architects drawings would not work, that the slim wall would not hold the weight of the beams and he needed to revise the drawings. This was in February 2013.

It took my Architect 5 months to get the revised drawing back to us (despite numerous calls/emails). He said that our case was very unusual and he had never seen a wall like that. He said his Engineer was trying to find a solution to this. He re-sent the drawings - a design from an Engineer with a metal plate going down the length of the wall. The next door Surveyor asked for structural calculations and a list of lots of other things. He received bits and pieces from our Architect - but no structural calculations.

The Housing Assoc Surveyor finally agreed to the Party Wall Agreement - on condition that he receives a letter of comfort from the Engineer. The Engineer has refused as he states it's not for him to approve his own design.

The Architect has sent the drawings to Building Control - who I have spoken to today. They have stated that there needs to be more detail in the Engineers drawing and that they can not give a letter of comfort until they receive this.

I've been ringing the Architect today and he's not returning my calls. I am extremely frustrated! Want to complain - he is RBS registered - but I don't know if this timescale is normal. November coming will be a year! And we haven't even begun. What can I do?

[/list]

Sponsored Links
Whilst we are only getting your side of the story on the face of it he has taken far too long to sort this out and he sounds like a complete knob, there is little sympathy for architects on this forum.

Whilst you wish to complain you maybe need to keep on at your architect/SE to get the additional engineers info so that you can get the PW aspect signed off. Then save your official complaint for afters! Who employed the engineer? Or who is receiving his invoice? Have you spoken to the SE?

Anyway, if you want to complain and he is ARB registered and you want to complain via them, rather than direct then there is a clear procedure to follow. Its is all here: http://www.arb.org.uk/making-a-complaint

It was totally unnecessary to appoint an architect BTW, an architectural technician was all that was required and he would have charged about a 1/3 of the price. If you had employed me you would have had a Building Regs App submitted within about a month of my appointment and an approval would have been a given.

It was totally unnecessary to appoint an architect BTW

I learned something about this recently, when talking with a friend from a well-to-do village darn sarf. I mentioned that I'd drawn the plans for mine and my father in law's semi pair myself, why didn't she do something for her dad's kitchen extension?

"Oh, he's already instructed his architect" she replied

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your response. Totally new to this - architect was recommended, didn't know I could get drawings any other way!! I asked to speak with the SE but Architect wouldn't give me his details. The SE was included in the cost and when I re-read the agreement - so was structural calculations. I will complain - thanks for the link, but I'll wait until after the letter of comfort - if it's forthcoming!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back