Architect fees...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just got a quote back from an architect for a small infill extension that I wish to have built.

I have supplied dimensioned drawings of the current layout and the layout that I require in the extended area.

Total floor area of the extension will be 4m^2.

Do these fees seem about right?

Drawing and Submission Fees:
Survey & Sketches - included
Planning Submission - 425.00
Building Regulations - 475.00
Structural Calculations - not required

I can't quite get my head around the steps that are normally present for planning / building regs approval. Is it just one set of drawings with detailed bits on so that the planning and building control people can sign off and say they are happy?

Any drawbacks with filling in planning and BC forms yourself?

Sponsored Links
depends wether you have the expertise to answer any queries they may ask and with planning, you are on a time scale to reply. the fees look reasonable to me you could obtain planning first . then consult building control to see if you can do the works on a building notice rather than a full plans application. but you will have to communicate with the building officer regarding the regs for the project and as i said if you have the expertise this is easy but can be daunting for diy.

By the looks of things this is a quote from a technician or other plan drawer, and not an Architect (RIBA)

Generally a set of plans is produced for planning permission and then the same plans are used for building control approval - but more details are added and a section or two done. Some may just produce one set of plans with all the details on for both functions

It can be hard to differentiate between the work done for planning and b/regs as although the planning drawings are basic, some amount of checking and design may have been done to confirm that the drawings will conform to b/regs.

With regards to costs, you need to get some comparable quotes for your locality

IMO, the work content is not half and half so it may not be representative to quote two almost equal amounts for planning and b/regs - I prefer a 2/3 and 1/3 split. But its just down to semantics - he wants £900 and thats the bottom line to compare others against

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will try and get a couple more quotes.

This is basically what I am trying to do:

Existing:
planbefore.jpg

Planned:
planafter.jpg

Basically moving the front door, moving the kitchen window forward, a couple of internal walls and replacing the current flat roof with a pitched one.

I know roughly the construction of the roof:
12mm plasterboard with vapour barrier
50mm celotex
100mm celotex between rafters
175mm x 50mm rafters
tyvec membrane
50x 38mm tile battens
Marley Wessex Smooth brown tiles with 100mm headlap to match main roof.

What else would fall under the building regs just so I can have a read up about it...

Sponsored Links
Your quote seems quite reasonable for the project, it is worth making sure that your architect is ARB registered, and confirming what the scope of work is - will your architect be prepared to instruct a builder initially or is it just a basic drawing service?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back