Architect fees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm extending the back of my property - approx 3x8m - and employed an architect to draw the plans. I paid the £200 for the application process to the council and have just received an invoice from him for £2200. He is charging me £1600 for the drawings and submission to Local Authority plus £550 for the measured survey which he did in my presence at our first meeting which lasted half an hour. At this initial meeting he gave me a verbal quote of £1500 for planning permission and £1500 for building regs. I've only seen draft plans so far which are exactly what I wanted but it is very straight forward. I would like to know what people think of this fee and whether it is standard practice to charge for the initial survey. Other quotes I received were round the £1300 mark for plans and submission to council but I went with him as he was highly recommended by a close friend of mine. I live in London.

Sponsored Links
Measured survey also includes the drawing up time, plus travelling, not just the time on site - which, with all due respect, whenever anyone argues about fees, always says "he was only here for half an hour".

Why would he not charge for an initial survey?

There are plan drawers around who are not chartered architects and who will cost less - invariably from them you get drawings to get through planning and BRegs, but not to build from. Horses for courses.

Thanks for your reply. The other quotes I got were from chartered architects too. I was concerned that his fee ended up being £700 more than the initial quote. It seems he failed to mention the measured survey fee. Maybe next time I'll be sure to get it in writing first before I commit.

Sponsored Links
Just a cartel in action. They should be jailed.

Ay-Carumba ..... what a rip off!

No way are those fees correct.

If he is RIBA registered (which he should be if trading as an Architect), then he should work within the current "Conditions of Engagement" and he should have followed a set procedure to confirm his instruction and fee.

If you can't get hold of a copy, then ask him about it and dispute his invoice

Reub............you are being completly ripped off. I work as an architect, I can do that job for you for £1250 for BOTH planning + building regs approvals. That includes the following:

- travel down from Leeds
- site survey
- photos
- preperation of drawings for your approval, includes as many revisions as required until your happy. I can post or e-mail the drawings (pdf format) for you viewing.
- submission of planning application, any liason/chasing up the planning dept. until approval gained all included.
- preperation of building regulations drawings
- submission of building regulations application.
- includes any queries you may have that require my input throughout the whole construction process.

Basically I can offer you a fast + full service for alot less than you have been offered. I can e-mail examples of my work (pdf) for you to view.

NB - Shytalkz, since when can you not build from Building Regs drawings? Every single Building Regs approved dwg I have ever done has been used by the builder to build from.

Reub......let me know if your interested.

Christ Peca, desperate for work or something? That is a ridiculously low fee for traipsing down from Leeds to London, as well as doing the job. You say you work as an architect, does that mean that you're a technologist, rather than a chartered architect?

As far as drawings are concerned, there are plenty of plan drawers who provide sufficient detail solely to get BRegs appro, but don't actually sort construction details out on the drawings, leaving them to be sorted once work starts. Some of the drawings that I have to work off to design structural elements are complete pants; an epileptic spider's random jottings would make more sense. And they're always from the no-names-no-packdrill crowd.

Btw, he's had the plans done and he's happy with them, just not the EO fee to what he thought he was being charged.

Just had an RIBA registered architect do a full site survey, do my full plans for 2x extensions & he is acting as my agent to get through planning & building regs.........

£750.00. :D Says that I may need to pay him a bit more for some calculations later if needed.

He is a friend of my dads though. :rolleyes:

Dave.

Thanks for all your replies. I did as Woody suggested and I called him/sent an email last week disputing the invoice. I'm still waiting for his response. He is RIBA registered but clearly doesn't follow any Conditions of Engagement.

i am doing my loft. £400 for drawings. not same job comparison as yours, but it gives an idea. this was done by an Archt. technologist. i have to pay £350 build regs on top, directly to council.

I've posted a query elsewhere but have now read this forum which seems most appropriate for my post.

I have engaged an architectural technician who has invoiced me for 50 plus hours spent on the following:-
- site survey (9 hours on site plus 14 hours post site visit prep)
- photos
- preparation of drawings for your approval (2 drawings).
- submission of planning application, including any liaison/chasing up the planning dept. until approval gained all included.

This initial charge does not include the following which will be charged in addition to time spent already:
- preparation of building regulations drawings
- submission of building regulations application.

I am keen to understand if the time spent is reasonable for the work done? This is not a major build and adds 1 bedroom a bathroom and a dressing room and increases space on the ground floor. the drawings reflect what i set out at a meeting save for the proposed upstairs roof space where we have proposed an additional bedroom etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back