architect or builder at fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a porch built. They have been out 3 times to fix the floor which they admitted wanst done right,sealed the external drainage where the window meets the sill in order to try and stop water ingress.again admitted that wasn't right and removed it. They have built 4 stairs as per the architect drawing. The last stair requires an 8" step to get over the front door (each step is 6") and the bottom stair lands onto a slab at almost 30 degrees. I'm led to believe anything over 600mm requires a 1m sq landing and hand rail but he refuses to do this and blames the architects drawing. He is proposing I correct all the defects myself and deduct them from his bill with the exception of the stairs. I'm refusing to pay until it's fixed to building control standard and he is contacting his solicitor.

Sponsored Links
Nowhere near enough info. Post some photies, drawings, etc .....

Planning drawings or Building Regs drawings or what?

Nowhere near enough info. Post some photies, drawings, etc .....

Planning drawings or Building Regs drawings or what?

In my phone just now. He saying they're built to the drawing, I'm saying They don't meet building control therefore couldn't sell my house not to mention dangerous

reading up it fails to meet part k of the building regs on a few matters. Part k also states "you" i.e the builder is responsible for compliance.

Sponsored Links
i think you'll find you means you as its your responsibility to comply
the builder is just your agent doing the work you requested as requested
if you don't specify a handrail door or roof the builder wont do that
even iff its not your fault as in specified but not complied with its still your responsibility i am afraid

It depends on your contract with your builder. Normally, a contract would require the builder to build a code compliant structure, but there are always exceptions.

Well big-all, it rather depends upon what basis the contractor is employed, if he is specifically employed to ensure the works comply with the regs then he is contracted to do that. Though at the end of the day it is ultimately the building owners responsibility.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves here, BingoBongo, are you in England or Scotland as your profile suggests? Please provide some additional information as previously mentioned or anything we say is just here-say really.

theres also the moral dilemma off a builder building what he knows wont comply knowing the home owner is trusting him to enlighten them on exactly whats required as he is the expert and not enlightening them to get the job
against someone doing the work and as nieve as the homeowner and not knowing the regs fully
this is why doing your homework is crucial both builders and regs wise ;)

hes offered me money off and i can get it fixed myself but refuses to pay for the steps to be fixed or for him to fix them.how mch roughly would this cost ? there are afew issues inside.pvc panelling and silicone is a bit of a riot and the door has a bit of a gap at the top you can get the end of your fingers in

Horrendous looking steps and constructed without a shred of thought.

The top tread should be as close to the sill as possible and be a larger landing area than the rest.

The water ingress could be poor workmanship or is it condensation?

Horrendous looking steps and constructed without a shred of thought.

The top tread should be as close to the sill as possible and be a larger landing area than the rest.

The water ingress could be poor workmanship or is it condensation?

Poor workmanship in my opinion. They were out the first time and sealed external Windows (drainage) I had to point that out to them. The internal chipboard was touching the external brick. No gap or dp. They've now came out, cut the board back and put plastic in but they've had to take the door out and pvc paneling which was the internal finish. Now the silicone is a mess, cill bounces, thinks don't meet up right. They've cut out the externalpvc nose as I pointed out this was a trip hazard. Surely I shouldn't have to point all these things out to the people building it. I've asked the owner to come and look at this finish but he's offering me money off to fix it myself. I've offered to have everything put right and deduct it from his bill but he's refusing to cover the cost of the steps. He's blaming the drawing for only showing 3 steps on the plan and 4 on the elevation.what I'm worried about is how much it would cost to put all this right and God knows what else they've done. Also how would this effect my guarantee?

If you gave architect drawings to the builder for the steps and he followed them why would you think, now it is discovered they are incorrect, that it is his responsibility? If you gave him drawings and he didn't follow them would you be happy with that? The fact is your architect is a designer who offers himself as a professional in the design business and he should know the regulations. Your builder is a bloke who can lay bricks (allegedly) and wheel a barrow. Builders are not expected to be experts in the regulations (although most of them think they are) unless they offer, specifically, a design and build service. Did you employ the builder on a design and build basis?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back