architect or builder at fault?

If you gave architect drawings to the builder for the steps and he followed them why would you think, now it is discovered they are incorrect, that it is his responsibility? If you gave him drawings and he didn't follow them would you be happy with that? The fact is your architect is a designer who offers himself as a professional in the design business and he should know the regulations. Your builder is a bloke who can lay bricks (allegedly) and wheel a barrow. Builders are not expected to be experts in the regulations (although most of them think they are) unless they offer, specifically, a design and build service. Did you employ the builder on a design and build basis?

The builder measured and gave me a quote for the work before the drawing was done. That is why i am asking who is at fault. I would assume however he would have to build them to regs. Look at the finish "would you be happy with that ?"

Sponsored Links
The design is a joke and the build quality is the punchline.

Both seem equally at fault, the problem with that is both will then just point at each other the finger of blame.

The design is a joke and the build quality is the punchline.

Both seem equally at fault, the problem with that is both will then just point at each other the finger of blame.

Lose, Lose for me then. Said he'll take 1800 off to let me get it fixed myself

Sponsored Links
Drawings showing the proposed steps, showing what your builder was instructed to build by your architect.

Delving deeper into the Regs side of things (now I may well not be 100% right because I am largely unfamiliar with Scotland's Building Regs) I believe that if the existing entrance was not 'accessible' (ie ambulant disabled friendly) which according to the existing drawings it was not, then the new entrance also does not need to be 'accessible' and no worse than before.

Again, I believe (and stand to be corrected) that in roundabout terms this means that you don't need a landing in front of the door but you do need a handrail up one side at least as its over 600 high.

Not sure on the risers/goings yet, though goes without saying they should all be the same. I will have another flick through the regs.

Its pretty clear though that the drawing has been followed, did you not notice there was no landing shown on the proposed plans?

That said, those drawings are crap, typical cheap Regs drawings, the notes just get copied from one job to the next, its not your fault but your designer is just lazy and the client knows no better. There is no handaril indicated on the drawing but then it looks like the steps may be around 600 high on the elevation (but can't really see) so that's maybe why no handrail is shown. But then maybe they were cheap.

Have you had Building Control overseeing the works have they signed off the stairs?

When alls said and done though if you were my client I would have drawn a landing and a handrail. A good builder would have seen the car crash about to happen and flagged it up when he looked at the drawing.

Delving deeper into the Regs side of things (now I may well not be 100% right because I am largely unfamiliar with Scotland's Building Regs) I believe that if the existing entrance was not 'accessible' (ie ambulant disabled friendly) which according to the existing drawings it was not, then the new entrance also does not need to be 'accessible' and no worse than before.

Again, I believe (and stand to be corrected) that in roundabout terms this means that you don't need a landing in front of the door but you do need a handrail up one side at least as its over 600 high.

Not sure on the risers/goings yet, though goes without saying they should all be the same. I will have another flick through the regs.

Its pretty clear though that the drawing has been followed, did you not notice there was no landing shown on the proposed plans?

That said, those drawings are crap, typical cheap Regs drawings, the notes just get copied from one job to the next, its not your fault but your designer is just lazy and the client knows no better. There is no handaril indicated on the drawing but then it looks like the steps may be around 600 high on the elevation (but can't really see) so that's maybe why no handrail is shown. But then maybe they were cheap.

Have you had Building Control overseeing the works have they signed off the stairs?

When alls said and done though if you were my client I would have drawn a landing and a handrail. A good builder would have seen the car crash about to happen and flagged it up when he looked at the drawing.

surely the minimum would be for the step to reach the door :LOL:
the last step onto that slab is an ankle breaker. and this is all on top of the soaking floor ,sealed drainage, gap in the door and now abortion of internal finish (which the drawings state should be taped and filled plasterboard).

looking at those stairs and the internal finishing (looks alot worse in person) how much would it cost to fix.The flooring is damp to the right hand side of the door (looking from inside) which is strange as there is a cavity and not the chipboard touching the brick as the door was. Surely i shouldnt be asked to pay until this is all rectified either by him or by me ? ( hes already had 3 attempts :oops: )

If the last 'step' on the existing was when you stepped over the threshold then this is no worse in that respect but as mentioned the steps (including the one to get you over the threshold) should all be the same and less than the maximum permitted or the existing risers whichever is smaller.

All of your damp and finish problems are poor workmanship. But with respect if there is no proper details for the builder to follow then you sure as better make sure you employ a good builder!

So in reality crap drawings + crap builder = crap result.

As for blame well the architect has not done a brilliant job (but maybe he was cheap as chips) though the builder should capable of doing this without any damp ingress, this is pretty standard stuff.

As for the cost of remedial works, you shall have to establish what the problems are and once we know that we will know what works are required to rectify.

The upvc finishes internally need to be replaced with plasterboard and the damp investigated and the door adjusted to get it weather-tight for starters. Proly start by ripping all that upvc crap off internally as that needs to come off anyway. You checked the drain holes in the threshold aren't blocked etc? Better off making another thread about the leak in the Windows section of the forum as the fitters on there don't seem to stray into this section often.

Why have you posted a picture of your phone?

Anyway difficult to say really it depends what's wrong doesn't it, anything from say £200-£800 (not including some new steps and a landing and railing). He would be sensible if he established the cause iof the moisture ingress and unless there is something obvious that is likely to be a bit of try this and wait for some wet weather to see if its worked kind of thing. Some builders will not even want to touch it. It can be a right ball ache fixing someone else's bodge.

BTW if you turn NFC off your battery life should improve.

Also bear in mind what I said about my knowledge of Scottish Regs, I might be talking a right load of crap!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back