Architects v technicians v technologists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure where else to post this, and no funny replies...well maybe a couple, but what is the key difference between Architects, Architectural Technicians and Architectural Technologists?

Some have said to me its when someone flunked their architects degree or something and they cannot become RIBA qualified but as I've pointed out to some helpful people here in previous posts, my previous RIBA architect didn't know his **** from his elbow when it came to local planning rules.

I've today commissioned an older semi retired architectural technologist who is also a structural engineer (and I take back some of the comments I made about him in previous threads) but it got me thinking what are the main differences here.

So, not my intension to insult anyone here as I've found the likes of several of you to be very helpful (cjard, mercurystwim et al, tony etc) but curious to know. Did these associations / bodies all fall out and one stage and say I'm going to go one better and change clause 2.1 of the constitution.....and you me Nigel?

Sponsored Links
Well a technician is someone who flunked their RIBA Part III ;), a technologist is someone with a degree? in architectural technology, and n architect is a quasi-godlike figure with an only slightly overblown sense of their own importance.

Are you any of the three?
Is it normal for RIBA architects to be clueless on local planning rules?

Well a technician is someone who flunked their RIBA Part III ;), a technologist is someone with a degree? in architectural technology, and n architect is a quasi-godlike figure with an only slightly overblown sense of their own importance.
Dope.

Sponsored Links
It would be odd that an architect with experience of that local authority - or neighbouring authorities - would be oblivious to local planning rules, but planning changes all the time - and it's impossible to know everything. An architect would be no more (and no less) likely to know planning policy as say a technologist/technician, but they should know procedure, which is a slightly different thing.

Well he was from the coast of south England my property was within the M25. found him at one of those grand design exhibitions and was sold on the idea that not having someone local on my door step mattered. It would have been good value had it worked out 3d mock ups, 10 site visits during thr build, 3 applications to the council for the various work at different times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back