Architrave, Skirting and Plaster Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had all my walls plastered and the plaster is further out than the wood frame. I was told I could mark the width and use my multi-tool to cut the plaster out so the architrave fits in... that's fine however when it gets to the skirting board, it will stick out further than the architrave. I couldn't possibly cut all along the bottom of the wall to fit it nor do I want to reduce the depth (only 14mm).

Hope that makes sense. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Is it the joint between the architrave and the skirting board that's the issue?
I wouldn't normally expect them to be flush with each other, to be honest.
A couple of things come to mind - one is to use a block plinth (you can google 'architrave block plinth' for images) or you could run the architrave all the way down to the floor, then plane or sand a bevel onto the end of the skirting to bring the end flush with the outside of the architrave.
By the way - cutting out the plaster round the door sounds messy - do you have any tools that you could rout out the back of the architrave instead?

I'd probably pack the door casing out with thin rips of softwood or MR-MDF (comes in 6, 9, 12, 15 1nd 18mm very often) the same width or slightly narrower than the architraves and then apply the architrave to that. This can look better if you use the same set-back for the packing strips as you would use for the architraves (e.g. tyhe packing strips could be set back 10mm and the architraves set back a further 10mm). Even so I find that it is often necessary with replastering done like yours to cut back the plasterwork a little (straight edge, Stanley knofe and an old chisel) to get the architraves and/or packing strips to sit flush. Worth considering decorator's caulk down the outsides of the architraves when you've done

Sponsored Links
To add to what Job said, don't use caulk on any large gaps. Caulk is only suitable for small gaps. Use polyfilla for large gaps.*

*Other brands are available ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back