Are all matt emulsions breathable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been using Craig & Rose emulsion because it is advertised as being breathable.

Im doing up an old house and insultating with sheeps wool and breathable plasterboard so need to keep the whole breathable thing going on.

Many dont rate C&R but Dulux and many others dont specifically advertise their paints as breathable like C&R do.

Dulux do advertise their trade super matt for use on drying out plaster which I have used but dont mention this in literature even for their normal matt emulsions.

Are their other paints out their that are breathable or do you think all matt emulsions are like to have a high breathability?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
daddad,

Google up Earthborn paints and take a look at what they have to offer.

Dec

Dec absolutly superb thankyou!

Ive just googled the paint you suggest and looked up there suppliers, there is a shop in my nearest city that sells all the earthborn, green company, F&B etc wallpapers plaster cornice etc

They are a complete old school decorating shop I wouldnt have known existed!

Im sure Ill get some good advice there on all the different options. This is a great find for us who have a lot of decorating a head of us.

Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links
If only you could email beer it'd be my round for sure.

Thanks gents

Well if your partial to the odd can of speckled hen i'll see what I can do ;)

Dec

Earthborn paints are indeed wonderful, but surely all non-vinyl matt emulsions are breathable?

(If by 'breathable' you mean they contain no barriers to the passage of air and water vapour?)

Little Greene, F & B, Laura Ashley are all in this category, I think.

Possibly Sanderson, too.

Its all about permeability, breatheable paints still have different rates at which they let moisture escape according to how permeable they are. Low rated paints can still let moisture get trapped and blow the paint film whereas high permeability rated paints let the moisture pass through quickly without damage to the paint film.

Its all about permeability, breatheable paints still have different rates at which they let moisture escape according to how permeable they are. Low rated paints can still let moisture get trapped and blow the paint film whereas high permeability rated paints let the moisture pass through quickly without damage to the paint film.

Interesting, thank you.

Interesting in the extreme, yet surely as a Decorator of 40+years you would be aware of such things.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back