are Fire Safety regs retrospective?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm a (part-time) landlord with a couple of houses that (unsurprisingly) have an upper floor!

I understand that windows need to comply with fire safety regs (i.e. minimum openings) above ground floor: but does this apply to existing installations, or only when you replace the windows? Presumably the latter right, as current building reg standards aren't enforced on past works?

TIA!

Sponsored Links
Building regs are not retrospective, but as a landlord you are caught by 1972 DPA, if your tenant is injured. This effectively will apply current building regulations (or even a higher standard) to old buildings.

Thanks Guys. I think I will need to re-assess, get a FENSA firm out to be on the safe side and change openings as needed.

You need to assess the risks to your tenant, and not automatically change the windows.

Not having operable windows to the current building regulation standard does not automatically make the property unsafe. It may be that other features of the property are sufficient to counter the lack of openings.

Sponsored Links
Look, I do wish you'd listen, FMT.
It's perfectly simple. If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move your brother's clothes down to the lower peg. You simply collect his note before lunch, after you've done your scripture prep, when you've written your letter home, before rest, move your own clothes onto the lower peg, greet the visitors, and report to Mr. Viney that you've had your chit signed.

Anyway, as a landlord the OP does not have to improve his tenanted property to current building regulations.

But, if his tenant was ever injured because of the property, the condition of the property would be a factor, and the current building regulations could be used as a benchmark.

So the OP should assess the property to see if the property is safe for the tenant, and either improve the windows [to current building regulations standards], or make other improvements elsewhere, or provide other means of fire warning, protection, prevention or fighting, or have an appropriate system or procedure in place.

So there are options - which may be more appropriate, instead of just replacing windows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back