Are Howdens always that difficult?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to get a price for Bamboo flooring from Howdens. I do not have an account but would by on someoneelse's account. They would not give me a price at all as they "do not give prices to anyone off the street". They are treating their prices as state secrets.

Sponsored Links
Howdens are a strict trade only outlet.

They assume that anybody off the street is a retail customer sent by a trade person to select a product that the trade will supply.

Funny you say that. I had EXACTLY the same argument with a guy on the phone at Howdens at a London branch this time last Sat. Told him I needed 40 internal high quality doors. He said I can come and look but wouldnt give me a price, and I would not be able to use my wife's limited account because it was not a building trade related company. Told them to **** off and I'd take my £20k budget elsewhere. Their loss.

I've had various receptions......needed some large softwood garage doors, paid cash, no problem at all.
Wanted a kitchen for someone, wouldn't even discuss the price. Guy there was a right smart ass.
Wanted another kitchen for someone else, and they opened an account for me there and then.
(Three different branches, north east.)
John :)

Sponsored Links
Was told to go to Howdens by insurance claims assessor to choose new laminate flooring after a water leak. They wouldn't entertain us until we gave them the assessors phone number. After a whispered conversation with him the salesman agreed to show us what they had but still wouldn't give us any prices. After choosing, the wife and I left feeling like second-class citizens. Never again will I be going back there.

I have been on the bamboo sites and into the shop.
I just mentioned to a friend that we wanted to put bamboo flooring in and he said that it was cheaper at Howden and told me a price which he thought he could remember. He is a GP - so no trade that Howden would normally be interested in at all - and he has bought material for their surgery for cash. And cash is fine with me but they do not need to behave like a secret society.

What is the purpose of supplying only to the building trade? What's in it for them?

I have a feeling that there may be, or used to be, a planning difference between retail and wholesale. So wholesale (trade only) outlets could be situated in places where retail outlets were not allowed - and presumably where costs were lower. Googling suggests the difference is between "A1" and "B8" planning categories.

I wonder how screwfix and toolstation get away with that, often in the same sort of industrial area.

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back