Are kitchens notifiable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I have been told by a very reliable source that when replacing a kitchen, building controls need to be notified.

I've been on the net for an hour now and cant find any information that verifies this. Obviously they need to be involved for major electrical or knocking down walls etc, but just changing a kitchen? I'm not sure how true this is.

Has anybody else heard of this?

Sponsored Links
Rollocks. :LOL:

Your 'reliable' source is proving to be unreliable on this occasion. :rolleyes:

electrical work in kitchens (of the sort that is generally required during refitting) is notifiable.

Just in order to start a debate :p "all major works" are notifiable. Some kitchens that I fit can cost up to £15,000 just to buy. Plus fitting on top. so £25,000 worth of work could be considered "major works" :?:

Sponsored Links
Plus fitting on top. so £25,000 worth of work could be considered "major works"

Don't agree - cost irrelevant. If you simply screwed 50 K of cabinets to the wall that doesn't count as major works because the work on building is very minor.

Just in order to start a debate :p "all major works" are notifiable. Some kitchens that I fit can cost up to £15,000 just to buy. Plus fitting on top. so £25,000 worth of work could be considered "major works" :?:
Installing some fancy mdf and chipboard is not major works no matter how overpriced the product is.

New electrical circuits only need be inspected or certificated.

Only a fool would fit a cooker hood with charcoal filter (should they have the means to vent outdoors), otherwise it will vent to the outside and satisfy b'regs in any case.

Similar with trv's on rad's and low e lighting.

Generally speaking a kitchen re-fit is not notifiable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back